Help! Tokyo winning bidder on UK only item ...

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
8 replies 571 views
MimiJaneMimiJane Forumite
7.9K Posts
Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
✭✭✭✭
Hi all,

Just had a panicky 'phone call from my sister who's just started ebaying. Someone from Tokyo has just won one of her auctions, when it's for UK bidders only. I'm not sure if there was more than one bid on this item. Can anyone advise what she should be please (she's not prepared to ship to Tokyo!).

Many thanks.
Wins since 2009 = £16,880

MANY THANKS TO ALL OPS

Replies

• bleughbleugh Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    ..............why not ship to tokyo?, if they have good feedback?

and if its a small, cheap-ish item,

just make sure you send it AIRSURE if paypal is involved

if however, it's an expensive, heavy item and / or the user has low feedback, walk away,

all she can do is to 'reject' payments, file a non paying bidder, then she can claim final value fees back

and make sure she lists the auction as UK only, not world wide in future!
    money saving my @rse.
    I've spent 10x as much as I would if I had never discovered this website :-)
    :: No Links in signatures please - FM ::
  • SpinnerSpinner Forumite
    169 Posts
    bleugh wrote:
    ..............why not ship to tokyo?, if they have good feedback?

Exactly...why not? Selling worldwide can substantially increase one's sales. If she listed it as shipping worldwide, she should do so unless she wants to risk negative feedback.

However, if she really doesn't want to, and the auction stated UK only, then politely explain that to the buyer - they should understand. If they don't, or become abusive, report them to eBay!
  • slowenslowen Forumite
    2.8K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have found that when shipping to Tokyo / japan etc they are very smooth transactions and (touch wood) no problems have evolved from them. I was asked once to send via slow boat but this takes ages to get delivered and apparantly you get no insurance.

I won't send anything too valuable outside the UK without making the buyer they are aware that they need insurance on the item as I am not responsible for damaged or lost items
  • black-saturnblack-saturn
    13.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as he/she has paid for the item and the payment has cleared I can't see a problem. You sister may realise that international sales are not as bad as she first thought and decide to list all her items as worldwide.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • masonicmasonic Forumite
    15.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As long as he/she has paid for the item and the payment has cleared I can't see a problem.
    I assume you are referring to a non-paypal payment there. Paypal payments cannot be considered 'cleared' for several months.
  • spenderspender Forumite
    1.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    I dabble in ebay as a way to rid the house of all my collections and therefore to enable more collections to gather dust for ebaying in the future. I sell worldwide and find it absolutely fascinating with whats goes where. Touch wood I have had no problems, however if it is a heavy item I probably would not advertise world wide.
    No Matter what you do there will be critics.
  • MimiJaneMimiJane Forumite
    7.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the replies. As the item was marked for UK bidders only and she, at this stage, does not want to ship worldwide, she's emailed the auction winner to explain and will hopefully be able to offer the item to another bidder.

Thanks again.
    Wins since 2009 = £16,880

MANY THANKS TO ALL OPS
  • masonicmasonic Forumite
    15.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In future, she could block international bidders from her auctions if she wishes.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals