Advice - am i being paranoid?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
10 replies 897 views
Gillby1Gillby1 Forumite
658 Posts
Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
✭✭
I've just sold an ipod on ebay, and the buyer has been rushing me loads. They've just paid by paypal, although their address is unverified. Their feedback stands at 8, but the items they've bought are a bit strange in themselves. Does anyone think this buyer - ran4m - could be dodgy?

Thanks!
Debt free date: October 2006 :money:

Replies

• kels12kels12 Forumite
    98 Posts
    I'd be very very careful. To me it looks like they've been buying stuff just to get feedback. Also an unverified address could cause problems.

If you do decide to send them the iPod I'd make sure you use an online trackable courier (recorded/registered post isn't good enough) - if you don't and something goes wrong, paypal will probably rule against you if there's any fraud.

Personally I'd not sell to them and take the negative than possilby lose the money and the ipod

Kelsey
  • black-saturnblack-saturn
    13.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Perhaps I'm too trusting but to me it looks like a car brochure collector who is just looking for ways to pay an extra buck. But if you have doubts don't sell. If you do sell make sure you send it by recorded delivery and make sure the payment has cleared before you post.
    2008 Comping Challenge
    Won so far - £3010 Needed - £230
    Debt free since Oct 2004
  • soolinsoolin Forumite, Board Guide
    68.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to disagree a little with the earlier answers but if you send this item, and assuming it is over £30 then you must send it by special delivery and retain the SD slip for a few months even after arrival.

Recorded delivery only covers you up to £30 and couriers are likely to be more expensive.

However, I wouldn't rush to send it, just delay a couple of days as paypal only require goods to be sent in a timely manner which is usually taken to mean a week. Check the buyers address through the RM, even special delivery won't pay out if the address and post code aren't in the RM database regardless of whether the address exists. I found that out to my cost when a letter sent to one of the largest UK universities didn't arrive and RM refused compensation as the post code did not exist!

Soo
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
  • jaffa30jaffa30 Forumite
    19.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi
    As said if you do send the item make sure its by a trackable ie special del , so you are cover if anything does go wrong.

Jaffa
    R.I.P Sam, still in my heart
  • masonicmasonic Forumite
    16.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a basic or premier paypal account? Is the transaction covered by Paypal seller protection? The first question may seem daft, but if you only have a basic account, you will know that the buyer did not fund their payment with a credit card. If the buyer funds their payment by credit card, then they will be able to do a credit card chargeback on you and if you are not protected by paypal seller protection, you will lose your money. The fact that the buyer has only been registered a couple of months would probably lead me to walk away from this, or at least insist on an alternative payment method.
  • skylightskylight Forumite
    10.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker Home Insurance Hacker!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Er??

If the buyer is not verified, I thought that you were not covered by Paypal regardless of how you sent the goods???????
  • masonicmasonic Forumite
    16.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Er??

If the buyer is not verified, I thought that you were not covered by Paypal regardless of how you sent the goods???????
    Not every address can be verified (according to paypal), so some unconfirmed addresses can still leave you eligible for seller protection.

Also, as long as you send to the address supplied by paypal, you are covered within the paypal chargeback system.
  • Gillby1Gillby1 Forumite
    658 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭
    Paypal says that the address is unconfirmed and that i'd be ineligable for payment protection. An email the buyer sent me has also been flagged by Hotmail with the following message:

'The sender of this message, [email protected] hotmail.com, could not be verified by Sender ID.'

I just have a bad feeling about this for somereason.

Thanks for your advice guys!
    Debt free date: October 2006 :money:
  • shellyshelly Forumite
    6.4K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    IMO if you have a bad feeling I would go with the feeling. The account looks to me like they have been buying things just to get feedback rating. 3 car brochures and the rest are get rich quick schemes. Ok so they aren't 99p e-books but as bas as IMO.
  • bleughbleugh Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    RUN AWAY, RUN AWAY

file an NPB alert, you can claim back your final value fees

if they really want it that quickly, ask them to bung cash in an envelope by special delivery and offer them a nice discount (i.e. free postage or something)

- the free postage is made up of the fees it'd have cost you on paypal anyway, so you've not lost any money, AND if they're genuine, they'll do it

personally i refuse outright anything above £30 for paypal, it costs too much and there are few benefits for the seller

https://www.paypalwarning.com
    https://www.paypalsucks.org
    https://www.aboutpaypal.com
    money saving my @rse.
    I've spent 10x as much as I would if I had never discovered this website :-)
    :: No Links in signatures please - FM ::
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Avro Energy and Green cease trading

What it means for your gas & electrity

MSE News

Energy mythbusting

What really makes a difference?

MSE Guides

Free £6 Amazon credit for some

When you add £50 to gift card balance

MSE Deals