Confusing wording on paint tin......what is....

Options
This?

Right, I am putting on a watered down coating onto some plaster.

Went to DIY store for some emulsion...just any thing as is only first layer.
When I got home it said VINYL matt emulsion. Looked on line and one site said that a lot of manafacturers are dropping the word Vinyl from the description.

The back of tim says is fine for watering down up to 1 in 5.

Is it just another way of confusing me with this added word or should I make the long trek back to DIY store to get something without this word VINYL in?????

Comments

• cajef
    cajef Posts: 6,266 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Vinyl emulsion gives a matt finish and is used mainly on walls where a none shiny finish is required and will be fine for watering down and covering plaster, silk emulsion gives a gloss or shiny finish and can be used on ceilings or walls that get damp such as bathrooms or kitchens as it can be wiped down.
  • misgrace
    misgrace Posts: 1,486 Forumite
    Options
    Vinyl paint is hardwearing, and some manufacturers make a washable vinyl.

You would use vinyl paint, IE vinyl matt to go on existing emulsion paintwork, or use as topcoats on top of new plaster.

Regards to your watering down on plaster, I take it that its new plaster, so if its been skimmed then you can get away with using a vinyl paint, watered down by about 30% as a mistcoat/sealer coat.(personally I always use a contract matt, (non vinyl) whether its skimmed or bonded.

But can be costly doing it this way, as you would be using your colour choice, and 5 lts of good dulux paint can set you back near on £30, so if you need a lot, then can work expensive.

So, best thing to do, is to by a cheapo tin on contract matt, (non vinyl), still thin it down, and use that as your mistcoat/sealer coat, then buy the good stuff for your top coats.

If your going for a light natual colour as your top coat, then you can get some cheapo white matt, (non vinyl) do your mistcoat, then do another white, but just add about 10-15% water.

Then do 2 coats of your colour, ie vinyl, but, (and I know I always say this), but if your buying a good quality paint as your finish coats, still thin slightly with water, about 5-10% on your final coats, you will get a much better finish, plus it will be more mallable for the DIYer.:D
  • dld2s
    dld2s Posts: 441 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Uniform Washer
    Options
    Cajef, you can also get Vinyl silk as well as vinyl matt, as misgrace says the vinyl emulsions are harder wearing and usually washable to a certain extent unlike ordinary matt or silk
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure