How do I give a one-off discount ?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Ebay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales
6 replies 572 views
BoltonMinxBoltonMinx Forumite
1.4K Posts
Hi

I'd like to give a buyer a 10% discount, the items have P&P included i.e set to £0. Every time I put 0.51 in the invoice page, it increases the invoice amount. It won't let me put -0.51 :confused: Or must I give > £1 discount ?
"There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

:A ~~~ S
pread some good Karma ~~~ :A

Replies

• bleughbleugh Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    there should be a charges and discounts box at the bottom of the send buyer an invoice page, below the total amount

Seller discounts (-) or charges (+):

theres no way of automatically givng a 10% discount

you could always just ask them to make the payment out for 10% less, or refund the 10% in cash when you send their parcel
    money saving my @rse.
    I've spent 10x as much as I would if I had never discovered this website :-)
    :: No Links in signatures please - FM ::
  • Thats what i was trying, kept getting the same message - please enter a discount value less than £0.00. I found a thread on ebay Answer centre that was exactly the same situation and ebay advise you to ask the user to pay less, someone else suggested its because its free p&p and if you knock any more off, ebay will have to reduce their FVF.

So I did the invoice and in the payment text, explained the problem and asked them to put the discount in. Worked out on each invoice how much 10% was. And guess what ? They paid the full amount *sigh*

I bet its going to now cost me to refund them partially via paypal, but its such tidgy amounts - 24p and 51p, that I don't think its worth it. Just hope I don't get negative feedback from it :(

I think I'll send a quick email explaining and see how it goes...
    "There are only two lasting bequests we can hope to give our children; one of these is roots, the other wings" - Hodding Carter

• princessmoneysaverprincessmoneysaver Forumite
    15.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No if you do even a partian refund you will actually get a REFUND from Paypal for the fees on that payment, does that make sense?

Yvonne
    June 2021 wins - Playmobil bundle 
  • bleughbleugh Forumite
    1.8K Posts
    an alternate way to refund - if you're sending a boxed item, TAPE some coins to the inside of the box, equivalent to the refund!
    money saving my @rse.
    I've spent 10x as much as I would if I had never discovered this website :-)
    :: No Links in signatures please - FM ::
  • Matt`_5Matt`_5 Forumite
    812 Posts
    No if you do even a partian refund you will actually get a REFUND from Paypal for the fees on that payment, does that make sense?

Yvonne

Does paypal recalculate the fees and then refund you the difference then?
  • I think someone gets charged for a refund dont they ? :confused: Im pretty sure in the past, there's been a fee...

This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs