What bank has the best interest current account / ISA?

Options
I'm looking to change my current account from Ulster Bank to the bank with the best interest rate, and also start putting money into an ISA here, preferably in Belfast.

Where do the Norn Iron Moneysavers keep their money?

Comments

• seatzie
    seatzie Posts: 761 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    if you look on this websites guide you'll see the best recommended accounts - my own advice don't stay local the big 4 here suck big time

I've a current account with A&L do everything online or on the odd occassion I need to lodge a cheque use the post office, they can be a pain occassionally if you want to do something off the wall but generally I've been more than happy in the 5 years since I moved from first (dis)trust
    Norn Iron Club Member #64

Wikkity Wikkity Wikkity Lets go racing!
  • Bigcammy
    Bigcammy Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Have to agree on A&L, I have their ISA too and I think their online banking is very good. As for cheques, it suits me to pop into the branch in Royal Avenue.
    Norn Iron Club Member No. 252 :beer:
  • horsechestnut
    horsechestnut Posts: 1,446 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have been with Alliance & Leicester for over 25 years (originally Girobank). Very pleased with them, both for service and interest rate on my Premier account, with linked savins account. And of course you can use your post office to deposit cheques as well as getting money.
    If you have a friend who can recommend you then you can each get a small referral fee or go through Quidco if you are interested.
  • Wee_Bargain_Hunter
    Options
    The Co-Op near City Hall are offering £100 cashback after 2 months if you open a current account and pay in £800 a month. You can take the money out again and don't have to switch but obviously they'd prefer it if you did switch. A colleague told me about this and I didn't believe them but I went into the branch and it's true.
    Re ISAs, the Progressive are local and their rates are quite stable and don't seem to be the worst.
    If you want the absolute best rates then probably best to avoid the local banks and be prepared to move your money around.
    Maybe telephone banking would be something to look at?
  • george_2
    george_2 Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    Donal wrote: »
    I'm looking to change my current account from Ulster Bank to the bank with the best interest rate, and also start putting money into an ISA here, preferably in Belfast.

Where do the Norn Iron Moneysavers keep their money?

A&L - check here or money supermarket and it usually near the top of the pile. The only thing is the headline APR on the current account is a bit fiddly to get (easy with online banking).

I'll recommend you to the A&L and they'll give me £25 and you £125!
    G/C Mar 2014 - £18.50 / £350 NSD 0/29
  • Phoolgrrrl
    Phoolgrrrl Posts: 685 Forumite
    Options
    £125? What do you have to do to qualify?
  • Donal
    Donal Posts: 44 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Guys, thank you SO much for your help!!

George mate, sounds good to me, ha ha ha! I'll PM you now.

I have no compunctions about moving my salary to Co-Op, it's not doing me any favours with Ulster Bank. I'll look into that one!
  • Donal
    Donal Posts: 44 Forumite
    Options
    Hey guys, I'm ready to set up an A&L account, can someone send me a referral? £25 for each of us!
  • steveymp
    steveymp Posts: 2,797 Forumite
    Options
    Donal wrote: »
    Hey guys, I'm ready to set up an A&L account, can someone send me a referral? £25 for each of us!

Click through "Quidco" Donal and get £50 all to yourself;)
    I am trying, honest;) very trying according to my dear OH:rotfl:
  • arkonite_babe
    Options
    MOVING THREADS FOR BETTER RESPONSES

Hi, Martin’s asked me to post this in these circumstances: I’ve asked Board Guides to move threads if they’ll receive a better response elsewhere (please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email [EMAIL="abuse@moneysavingexpert.com"]abuse@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure