Credit File Query

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
4 replies 1.5K views
$17mma$17mma Forumite
2.6K Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Credit Cards
I have recently subscribed to CreditExpert, which gives me 24 hr access to my credit file..

Here is the query:

1: I understand that both Experian and Equifax hold different information?, therefore should i subscribe to both? How can they hold different information/ thought everything had to be factual? does this mean that one agency is holding outdated incorrect information? how long do searches/footprints last for?

2: I notice on my credit file that there are quite a few associated alisa's?? it appears that this has happened when i have applied for credit and my name has been spelt wrong.

Tell me do these associated alias's effect a lenders decision and can they be moved? :confused:
All it takes for evil to succeed is for a good man to do nothing!

Replies

• realaledrinkerrealaledrinker Forumite
    1.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    As far as (1) goes, Equifax in my experience are referred to less by lenders and therefore tend to have just a proportion of what appears on Experian. I would forget about Equifax & just go for the Experian free trial. Don't forget to cancel before the 30 days are up!
    Ethical moneysaver
  • Robert_Sterling_3Robert_Sterling_3 Forumite
    7.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    There are "suppliers of information" to credit agencies.
    There are three main credit agencies. Call them A B and C
    Some suppliers supply information to A
    Some suppliers supply information to B
    Some suppliers supply information to C
    Some suppliers supply information to A and B
    Some suppliers supply information to A and C
    Some suppliers supply information to B and C
    Some suppliers supply information to A and B and C
    Some suppliers supply information to none of these

That is why the agencies may hold different information about you.
    ...............................I have put my clock back....... Kcolc ym
  • Alfie_EAlfie_E Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    It’s impossible to quantify what, if any, effect all those incorrect aliases will have. Each company that makes use of the information on your credit file is entitled to interpret the information as they like. Even Experian couldn’t tell you that something on your file could never have an effect. Also, when it comes to data on computers, errors tend to beget errors.

You can get all the aliases corrected; you have a right to have all the information on your credit file be completely factually accurate. You’ll need to write to each company that’s given your name misspelt to Experian, and ask them to correct it. You’ll also want them to make sure it’s correct on their own records. Experian should provide you with all the addresses you need, at the bottom of your credit file. If you are missing an address, ask Experian. They will tell you the contact address to use, to query a company about information supplied to them.
    古池や蛙飛込む水の音
  • YorkshireBoyYorkshireBoy Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    $17mma wrote:
    how long do searches/footprints last for?
    They stay on your file for 12 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals