TV, Phone and Internet - Savings Needed !!!!!!!!!

in Phones & TV
13 replies 815 views
Hello there some advice needed if you can :)

I need to budget better and at the moment aren't doing so ! I have the following services for a while so am thinking going with telewest for the ease of having services from the same supplier.

BT (Line rental Only and Internet 1MB) £34.50 and £77.00 - for 3 months
Sky Television - All channels with Movies and Sports - £42.00 per month
Calls with Talk Talk - Anytime package £25.50, with other calls, mobs etc, averaging about £38.00 per month.

So basically Monthly total is £116.50 which is totally stupid !!!!

I can live without my full sky, for example I would be fine on a basic package, my broadband I would prefer 1MB over 512k. And the calls I do like to chat but I can curb this and wait til after 6pm, or weekends ?

Any advice appreciated on how to save money, Telewest are doing a package which ends tomorrow night, £25.50 for all three for three months then after that 33.99 per month.

However the net access is 512.

We aren't in an NTL area. Just telewest.

Thanks in advance !
2016 Sell £96/£1000

Replies

• innovateinnovate
    16.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    charley24,

for starters, looks like you don't pay your BT bill by Direct Debit - should only be 3x£10.50 = £31.50 if you did.

Have you read Martin's latest article on Home phones ? If you follow his advice, you should be able to knock some £20 / month off straight away.

As you say, your Sky bill looks a bit sky-high - - how much are you actually watching?

Can't comment on the value of Telewest (which is basically ntl now) - but surprised that they only should be 512K. I looked at all the Broadband options and in the end decided to stay on my BT package because I know it's reliable and I don't mind paying a little bit more for that.
  • Edinburghlass_2Edinburghlass_2 Forumite
    32.7K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say the TalkTalk package is wrong too at £25.50 a month? Never seen the TalkTalk3 package costing this amount per month. Are some of these bills worked on a quarterly basis?
  • gizmoleedsgizmoleeds Forumite
    2.2K Posts
    1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    charley24 wrote:
    Telewest are doing a package which ends tomorrow night, £25.50 for all three for three months then after that 33.99 per month.

However the net access is 512.
    I think you have your answer.

And 512k is hardly slow! I am on 512k and have no complaints (except for the fact that BT are supposed to be upgrading it).

You are talking about a £990 a year difference :eek: - that is almost a tenth of my annual salary.
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    charley24 wrote:
    BT (Line rental Only and Internet 1MB) £34.50 and £77.00 - for 3 months
    BT line rental is £10.50/month including VAT and their BB is £17.99/month including VAT. That's £31.50 + £53.97 = £85.47 quarterly including VAT.

If you don't ay by DD, those costs each go up by £1/month so you should be paying:

BT line rental @ £11.50/month including VAT and BB @ £18.99/month including VAT. That's £34.50 + £56.97 = £91.47 quarterly including VAT.

How come yours costs £111.50?

If you simply 'went back to BT' and made all your UK 01/02 calls on 1899 (i.e. for 3p each regardless of call length or day/time of day) you could quickly make a considerable saving (£25.50/month - whatever that is for). Switching to a CPS provider offering free evening and weekend UK 01/02 calls would save a bit more.

Similarly, making all your calls to UK mobiles on 18185 (5p/minute weekdays and 2p/minute at weekends) would save another bundle.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
  • Thanks for the repliesz :)

well my BT bill is 77.70 per quarter broadband and £34.50 per quarter for line rental which INCLUDES vat.

I did used to have 512 it was ok, I guess I could go back to that........also I hardly ever watch the tv, my kids will be happy just with cbeebies and we live e4 and itv2 which are included.

I am going to ring telewest and see what they have to say!

thanks so much for the help everyone!

love v
    2016 Sell £96/£1000
    2.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    charley24 wrote:
    .....also I hardly ever watch the tv, my kids will be happy just with cbeebies and we live e4 and itv2 which are included.
    All those channels are on freeview which wouldn't cost you anyting in subscriptions. If telewest would do you an even cheaper option for just phone and BB then you could save even more.

Iechyd da! :beer:
  • Telewest are increasing the speeds of all thier internet packages

https://www.blueyonder.co.uk/evenfaster

The 512KB service is going to 2MB
  • Anyone know if I had sky turned off (the box is ours) would we get the freeview channels thru the box?

I am going to ring BT and get this bill thing sorted out ! The figures are definately wrong somewhere !
    2016 Sell £96/£1000
  • HeinzHeinz Forumite
    11.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Car Insurance Carver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    charley24 wrote:
    Anyone know if I had sky turned off (the box is ours) would we get the freeview channels thru the box?
    Freeview (terrestrial) channels are listed HERE and the channels you'd continue to receive if you just cancelled your Sky subscription are shown HERE.

Note some Freeview channels are either not available or are not free on satellite.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
    2.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heinz wrote:
    Note some Freeview channels are either not available or are not free on satellite.
    E4, E4+1 and More4 (three of the best channels) are unfortunately umong them.

However, as you can buy a freeview box for less than many people pay for 1 month's Sky subscription you could have both.
    Anyone know if I had sky turned off (the box is ours) would we get the freeview channels thru the box?
    Just to note here: If you do this do not throw away your Sky card. Although your account will no longer be active you do actually need some sort of card in to watch most of the free channels (and a defunct Sky card I believe is good enough).

Definitely used to be the case, but may be wrong though....
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides