does this sound right pls???

Options
Hello!

we have been recieving child tax credit of £9 a week when my husband was living here. I have updated them and made New claim for TWC and CTC as we have seperated and Im now a single mum. Today I got a notice about our OLD award saying we have paid too much and owe £30, but the new award is currently still being processed - so Im assuming they run as totally seperate awards and we have been overpaid on the joint one because its till end of 2005 and we never made it that far - am I on the right lines here?

Thanks
Thank you :D

Comments

• Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,172 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i should imagine that the £30 overpayment will be taken into account when they do your new award.

BTW why only £9 a week? Our household income is above £25,000 but below where the ctc stops around £50,000 and i receive £545 per year - think it works out at £10.40 per week, when i had my youngest one it went upto £1090 per year cos it included an extra £545 for babies until they are one. After her first birthday it went down to £545 for the year.
  • snow_queen
    Options
    thanks, i was just worroed they were telling me i would get zilch and that I owe them! when she turned 1 it went down to £9.46 a week!
    Thank you :D
  • rushnowt
    rushnowt Posts: 24,749 Forumite
    Options
    Hiya snow queen,

don't worry yourself unnessecarily, if you don't want to wait until you receive your notice of new award, just write to them again eclosing a copy of their letter which states the overpayment explaining all your circumstances again, including the fact that the money was paid to you as a couple and you are now single, and can they look at it again, and if they still come to the same conclusion would it be possible to deduct it weekly from your new amount until it is fully paid, as to insist that it all be paid to them straight away would put considerable strain on your already limited finances,
    i have no idea whether they will exept this or not but at least it's worth a try.
    hope everything works out ok for you and again good luck for the future :-*
    Nobody can make you feel inferior, without your permission ;)

Love doesn't make the world go round, it's what makes the ride worthwhile

ya still freezing :p

• jo_b_2
    jo_b_2 Posts: 7,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Yes, SnowQueen, they will treat the new application as totally separate so don't panic!

They will deduct the £30 overpayment from the total amount that you will be allocated for the rest of the tax year so you won't be expected to pay a 'bill' for £30. It will just be factored into the new tax credit allowance.

I went through similar stuff earlier this year when I split up from my partner. My son's now 2. I was really worried about how we would manage financially at first but I am now finding that I am actually better off on my own!

In more ways than just financially! ::)

Anyway, good luck with sorting everything out and take care of yourself as well as your little girl. :-*

Jo.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport