Unauthorised debit ?

Do you think I should receive compensation for this?

I booked a holiday and paid a deposit of 240.00 by credit card. Now, the company said this transaction could not be made due to a fault with my card so I gave them my debit card and they took 240.00. I have checked my statements this morning and found that the first transaction DID go through and 243.63 (not the correct amount and unauthorised) was debited.

What do you think?

Comments

• Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Why compensation?? What exactly do you want compensation for?

You need to contact them and inform them that in fact the payment did go through and arrange for them to action a refund to your credit card. They may want proof by seeing your statement. If they are difficult, you need to notify the card provider that it was an unauthorised transaction and ask them to do a chargeback.

At the moment you have suffered no loss for which you are entitled to compensation. You might want them to pay any postage charges you incur because of their mistake and it certainly wouldn't hurt to try to negotiate a discount or something for the inconvenience of having to sort it out but you are certainly not in a position to claim compensation.
  • YorkshireBoy
    YorkshireBoy Posts: 31,541 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Alison-J wrote:
    What do you think?
    The additional £3.63 looks like a 1.5% surcharge for paying by credit card.

Disagree with the previous poster on the refund though. Ask them to refund the debit card instead, so you enjoy 'section 75' protection (by paying the deposit by credit card) if anything goes wrong with the booking.
  • Bossyboots
    Bossyboots Posts: 6,746 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The additional £3.63 looks like a 1.5% surcharge for paying by credit card.

Disagree with the previous poster on the refund though. Ask them to refund the debit card instead, so you enjoy 'section 75' protection (by paying the deposit by credit card) if anything goes wrong with the booking.

The only reason I suggested refunding the credit card was because it was more than the debit card transaction and to date will not have attracted interest.

I agree though, it would be better to get the debit card credited for the reasons you state.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure