Is it cheaper to produce hot water from the kettle (electric) or via tap (gas)

Options
mikeyw
mikeyw Posts: 227 Forumite
Guys,

In these days of astronomical gas prices I was considering turning the gas central heating & hot water off for the summer.

My wife argues she needs hot water all the time but I suggested taking hot water from the kettle. Assuming the water in the kettle is hot or warm enough most of the day and bringing it back up to temp will not need much energy would it be cheaper to do it this way than allowing the boiler to fire up and produce hot water every time it was needed ?

Over to the energy brains out there...

I'll be setting up camp fires in each room in the house during the winter at this rate !! :rotfl:

Mike

Comments

• mikeyw
    Options
    Any thoughts guys ?
  • bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,112 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    mikeyw wrote: »
    Any thoughts guys ?

I fill a large flask to avoid reboiling the kettle. ;)
  • Andy_Hamilton
    Options
    It takes the same amount of energy to heat water. How it is heated is the key. Gas is around 1/4 of the price than electricity.
    Using a gas kettle will cost 1/4 the price but is much lest easy to use. What ever the case you should not heat more water than you need or it will cost you more.

I've posted a thread about how I have saved gas very simply. http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1075813
    Lets get this straight. Say my house is worth £100K, it drops £20K and I complain but I should not complain when I actually pay £200K via a mortgage:rolleyes:
  • mikeyw
    Options
    It takes the same amount of energy to heat water. How it is heated is the key. Gas is around 1/4 of the price than electricity.

This confuses me - why is it then we all seem to suffer with higher gas bills than electric ?

All we have on Gas is our boiler and yet our Gas bills are higher in price on a 2 to 1 basis.
  • Andy_Hamilton
    Options
    As general rule:
    Gas is burnt in an expensive factory called a powerstation. This electricity is passed down expensive wires and transformers into your home. This makes a KW of electricity around 4X the price of gas.

Yes Normally gas bills are high because we all like hotwater on tap and we don't really notice heat loss as it's not something you can see (not like leaving a light on).

My winter gas usage is around 30KWH per day (around £1.50) My electric usage is around 10KWH (around £2) If I got rid of my fish tank it would be around £1 per day

People with just electricity heating normally pay more unless on an economy setting.
    Lets get this straight. Say my house is worth £100K, it drops £20K and I complain but I should not complain when I actually pay £200K via a mortgage:rolleyes:
  • Mazio_2
    Mazio_2 Posts: 347 Forumite
    Options
    What about a cup of water in a microwave around 2.5 -3 minutes to boil.
    Look after the pennies and the pounds will spend themselves
  • Raksha
    Raksha Posts: 4,570 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    With gas some energy is wasted heating the air around the flame, with electricity the energy is used much more effectively....
    Please forgive me if my comments seem abrupt or my questions have obvious answers, I have a mental health condition which affects my ability to see things as others might.
  • Andy_Hamilton
    Options
    Mazio wrote: »
    What about a cup of water in a microwave around 2.5 -3 minutes to boil.

In a microwave, 3 minutes with 800W will work out about the same as a kettle using 2400W for 1 minute.

Like I say, it's always going to take the same amount of energy to boil water, there may be some slight differences with efficencies of different machines.
  • Mazio_2
    Mazio_2 Posts: 347 Forumite
    Options
    In a microwave, 3 minutes with 800W will work out about the same as a kettle using 2400W for 1 minute.

Like I say, it's always going to take the same amount of energy to boil water, there may be some slight differences with efficencies of different machines.

Thanks for that Andy the only thing as well with a microwave you will heat the exact water needed.
    Look after the pennies and the pounds will spend themselves
  • Andy_Hamilton
    Options
    You will also heat up the microwave it's self. Some energy is transfered into the casing but there is a massive magnet and coil which also looses heat. Try feeling the top of the micro when you've had it on for a couple of minutes.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure