European City Break

Options
Hi,

Would be really grateful if other users could give me some advice on destinations that they have really enjoyed within Europe - and reasonable priced hotels that you may have stayed at.

We have two free tickets for any European destination and want to go in August to celebrate our first wedding anniversary

thanks for you help ;)

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,098 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    stayed at

Lake lucern, switzerland - really nice friendly place..bit quiet though..hotels are v expensive...when we went 6 years ago 100-600.00 a night

Friebourg/Zurich/Bern, switzerland- pretty much same as above but a little bit livlier...hotels are expensive

amsterdam - great people..intersting place..some parts fairly sleazy (though that didnt bother me as im broadminded!..hotels are fairly cheap

Paris - nice place, lots to do, people are very unfriendly/rude.. unlike the rest of France...hotels are very cheap

Bruge - quaint place..didnt stay long though

Dublin - great people...dont like guiness but even i can tell the difference...hotels are reasonably cheap

I am keen to travel to other cities....heard Milan is good if you like shopping....Rome/Madrid/Barcelona/Prague are places i would like to visit that people have said are worth visiting...depends what you after....
  • iBusiness
    iBusiness Posts: 61 Forumite
    Options
    Hi SPL,

Hopefully moving your post to 'Travel, Tips..' will increase your chances of some great advice to help celebrate your anniversary

Regards,
    Mod2
  • DancingQueen
    Options
    Hi,
    We had a long weekend in Brussels last August, booked through Tesco Clubcard/Bridge Travel. I was very impressed with the city - it was much nicer than I had imagined. It's fairly quiet in August though and some of the restaurants will be closed, but we still found plenty to do. Plus, you can enjoy sitting outside on the pavement cafés sampling the hundreds of different Belgian beers and big bowls of moules marinères.
    Carpe diem
  • Joannekerry
    Joannekerry Posts: 293 Forumite
    Options
    Hi SPL.  We went to Prague in February.  The City is clean and you can walk around anytime night and day and feel 100% safe.  We booked through the following website which shows the hotel we stayed in, but there are plenty of other hotels to choice from https://www.hotelsprague.net/usuteru  Apparantley a lot of Czech celebs eat in the restaurant there, which I can highly recommend, the food was excellent....4 main courses, 3 sweets, 8 beers and three coffees came to 25 quid!  Plus the hotel is literally a couple of hundred yards from Wenscles Square.  
  • mystic_trev
    mystic_trev Posts: 5,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

We have two free tickets for any European destination and want to go in August to celebrate our first wedding anniversary

For something different - Why not try Tallinn (Estonia) lovely old romantic City.

You could also try Belgrade (Iwas there last week!)cheap too. It's a nice place to visit for two or three days. Stay at the Hotel Moskva (central) Promenade with the beautifull people in the evening and take a boat trip on the Danube!
  • SPL
    SPL Posts: 268 Forumite
    Options
    :o :oWOW thank you all so much for taking the time to give me advice

we shall look at all the recommendations and then hopefully make a decision and book at the weekend

Thank you and hope to repay the favour some time soon

:D
  • GlennTheBaker
    GlennTheBaker Posts: 2,974 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We spent the last New Year in Prague. It was absolutely wonderful and I can't wait to go back. Food and drink is really cheap, especially if you find a nice little bar or restaurant just slightly off the main tourist spots.

The Czech people are really friendly - if a little bit crazy. They were lobbing fireworks at all and sundry when midnight struck at New Year!
    This space has been intentionally left blank
  • SPL
    Options
    thanks Glenn - which hotel did you stay at ? would you recommend it?
  • GlennTheBaker
    GlennTheBaker Posts: 2,974 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi SPL!

The hotel we stayed at was the Renaissance Prague Hotel. It is about 15-20 minutes walk from the Old Town Square and the Charles Bridge. We got it through Priceline and paid something like £65 per night which is pretty good anyway but especially considering it was New Year!

The hotel was superb, I would go back to it every time. Priceline classes it as a 5 star but in reality it is a 4/5 star.

If you plan on booking through Priceline, check out https://www.cleverbidding.co.uk for tips on getting your room at the lowest possible price.

There is also a Marriott hotel right opposite the Renaissance (both belong to the same group) which also receives very good reviews.

Let us know what you decide and good luck!  ;)
    This space has been intentionally left blank
  • SPL
    Options
    Hey Glen

Thanks very much for getting back to me appreciate it

sorry to trouble you further but have looked at the clever bidding site and cannot make head nor tail of it and not really sure how to use the priceline thing - are you not guaranteed to get the hotel you want?- any tips gratefully received

Thanks again
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport