how to clean brushes painting hammerite??

Hiya I've been painting my metal railings with whizzy blue hammerite but didn't realise I needed to buy the special hammerite cleaning thinners for the brushes! Does anyone know if anytihng else will clean brushes after using hammerite? It's cheaper to throw the brushes away than buy the thinners unless anyone knows of a cheap source?

Thanks guys!

Comments

• nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    hammerite do their own thinners which is the only thing that will clean them
    it's cheaper to throw it away
  • Poppycat
    Poppycat Posts: 19,913 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Just get some cheapo brushes cheaper then using there thinners to clean as nick said
  • surfsister
    surfsister Posts: 7,527 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    thanks for the help! Yes I guessed as much when a 750ml tin of hammerite is a fiver special offer, I didn't want to pay the same for thinners but the brushes were 50p for 4 so no brainer!!
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Yup, buy a cheap brush and chuck it away. We found this out last year from B&Q, the man in the shop actually told us it was cheaper to buy a brush than the Hammerite thinner. Fair play to him for being honest rather than trying to increase his sales :-)
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    I can't imagine it's anything special, it's probably cellulose thinners, which isn't cheap stuff but I'm sure you will get it cheaper than the hammerite branded stuff.

If you have already painted - your brushes will be ruined by the time you go and buy the thinners anyway.
  • nickj_2
    nickj_2 Posts: 7,052 Forumite
    Wig wrote: »
    I can't imagine it's anything special, it's probably cellulose thinners, which isn't cheap stuff but I'm sure you will get it cheaper than the hammerite branded stuff.

If you have already painted - your brushes will be ruined by the time you go and buy the thinners anyway.[/quote

unless you walk - then your fuel bill will probably be more than the brush is worth
  • Fred_Bear_2
    Fred_Bear_2 Posts: 392 Forumite
    If I remember correctly it's Xylene. Agree with everyone else - throw the brushes away.
  • Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 215 Forumite
    Petrol, hammerite thinners, or some types of cellulose thinners will clean them.

Just use disposable brushes. Much easier.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure