Need help with energyhelpline please :|

Options
GibsonSt19
GibsonSt19 Posts: 2,736 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Evening all, after Martins recent mailing I thought I'd look to save a bit of cash. Visited the energyhelpline site.

Only thing is, I live in Wrexham and the bills we receive Have 'Scottish Power/Manweb' across the top, and states we're on the 'Premier Plus' package.

Thing is, energyhelpline needs to know what tarrif we're on, but 'Premier Plus' isn't listed on the site. I called Scottish Power and asked what tarriff I'm on. A lady said we were on some tarriff like XG80B805, or summat like that, but THAT's no listed either. How on earth am I supposed to know what to enter into the site?

I'm pretty concerned, and have been for a while (about our combined gas/elec bill). Earlier this year, we were paying £94 per month (just two of us in a 3 bed semi-detached). We hardly EVER put the heating on (gas central heating) and use the washing machine maybe twice a week, and the dishwasher once a week. There is a computer on 24/7, but I wouldn't imagine that to be sucking too much energy.

We've now been 'updated' by Scottish Power and our combined bill is going up to £104 per month, which I think is pretty rediculous.

Any ideas about either of these issues? What should I do? Please keep things simple, I'm a spud :o

Comments

• mechy
    mechy Posts: 254 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hey Gibson, and I thought I was paying too much, combined bill of £56/month, in a 3 bedroom house. I think you need to look at the way you use your energy mate. (Hope you dont mind me saying). That is a lot of money!
  • GibsonSt19
    GibsonSt19 Posts: 2,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What do you mean, "the way we use our energy?"

That's why I've posted the question. I don't believe we're using it any differently to anyone else... that's the problem.
  • greenstick
    Options
    My understanding is that it only requires your current details so it can calculate your potential saving.

Just select any tarrif and when you get to the price results screen, ignore the "saving" column, just add up your current annual useage and subtract the annual price offered by the supplier you are thinking of moving to.

This will show you how much you could save if you switched.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,615 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hi - Your bills seem very high for the size of house.
    There are 3 possibilities (that I can think of).

Either
    1) Your consumption is high (from what you say it doesn't sound like it is).
    2) You have a faulty appliance that is using lots of power
    3) Your meter(s) is(are) faulty.

Are your bills broken down into gas and electric.
    First place I would start is to breakdown the costs between gas and electricity and work out which one is high.

Next step then might be to isolate each appliance in turn.
    So for example take weekly meter readings and say - stop using the washing machine for 1 week to see if it's that.
    This would seem to me the cheapest way of doing it.
    If you get an electrician round then you are going to have to pay for their time.

You could also ask your gas and electricity companies to check the meters.

Although you say you don't have the heating on much, what temperature is your hot water set at? is it heating up all day rather than just the times you are in.

A number of things you can check for yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure