another christmas present dilema!

please help!

im stuck for ideas for suitable presents for my nephew. not only do i have to sort out a christmas present for him, but its also his 1st birthday on dec 17th!

i spoke to BIL to get some ideas, who said either clothes, or vouchers so we can get him clothes.

whilst im happy to do this for one of the two occasions, i'd still like to get him something he could open/ play with/ be useful without being an item of clothing.

to set the scene, B&SIL are paying out a lot of money towards their mortgage, and whilst the little one doesnt go without, i know they dont have a lot of spare money.

their house is also rather on the small side - storage is an issue, so large items are out of the question.

little 'un is quite big for his age (tall rather than fat). he is crawling extremely well, and just about beginning to toddle! he likes things that make noise, and seems (to my horror, but what can i do he's not my child :eek:) strangely enchanted by that awful cbeebies balamory and tweenies stuff.

if you were in tis situation (as a parent), what do you think you would appreciate present-wise?

the most unique idea i've had so far (but im not sure if it exists) would be a subscription to tumble tots or something similar (at the rate he is progressing he will definately be on his feet by christmas). any comments on this?

money-wise, we cant really afford more than £40 between the birthday and christmas for him.

am open to all suggestions and im looking forward to hearing what you suggest!
know thyself
Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...

Comments

• Although the Tumble Tots suggestion is a good one it does commit his Mum to having to take him so I would check with her first!

As for something for him to open from experience I would say you can get him anything at all as long as you wrap it in crackly, shiny paper :D

The thing that my kids got the most use out of was a magnetic drawing board, it saves the walls, doesn't take up too much room , and they still take them in the car now for long journeys!
    :snow_laug HM Christmas 2010
    Knitted squares - [STRIKE]6[/STRIKE]13. pages of ideas - [STRIKE]7[/STRIKE] 19:rotfl:
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,198 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    i've just had a look on their website and i think a years membership is about £18, which sounds perfect!

good point about checking with them first though sally!
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Could you get a blank video or DVD and record 3 hours worth of Cbeebies etc.

When my twins were small I taped loads of episodes of Rainbow as they were too little to understand that it would not appear every time the tv was switched on.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • plumpmouse
    plumpmouse Posts: 1,138 Forumite
    I love books for my son. Can't think of a better gift.

Also really love baby einstein dvd's. My son loves any of the animal ones and hes 2.

Toys are good, but with my son they lose their appeal very quickly, so it may be worth thinking of something else that he could keep

ElC always have nice toys you could try there

http://www.elc.co.uk/toy-31471

http://www.elc.co.uk/toy-33801

http://www.elc.co.uk/toy-31545

My little boy has the last two and they have been played with well.

Or if they have an outdoor space you could get them a swing or a sandpit. Sandpits are very popular with all the kids at my son's nursery.

HTH
    Give me the boy until he's seven and i'll give you the man.
  • Becles
    Becles Posts: 13,164 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    How about a little tricycle or other ride on vehicle? We had one that was loved by both my boys, and it's now in use by my neighbours granddaughter!

He may be a bit little for it now, but he should be the right size once we get to Spring and he can play outside on it.
    Here I go again on my own....
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,138 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Tumble tots annual membership is around £18 but you pay this in addition to the weekly fees. They were about £3-£4 a session (about 40 mins once a week). If moneys tight they may not wish to commit to paying the weekly fee.

Gift vouchers for a soft-play area (if they have a local one) or a petting farm or zoo (again if nearby).

Mine liked bath toys at that age and still play with them now aged 5.5 and 2.5
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I'd go for an outdoor toy if they have the space - I know from experience that my eldest daughter's birthday being in November meant she got lots of stuff for winter and indoor play but when it came to spring there was nothing in the garden and I couldn't afford it for a while.

They really don't appreciate presents at that age so don't beat yourself up if you do decide to get vouchers (which if money is tight might be a huge relief to them).
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • Tomthumb
    Tomthumb Posts: 1,102 Forumite
    If you get something from ELC don't forget to use the current 20% off code valid until 24th December (should be on the discount forum) If they don't have much money why don't you offer them a night or two of babysitting and treat them to a nice meal or even a cheap hotel room - that would be the best present I could get!!

High Street/Next vouchers would be good for them to use in the january sales to get more for the money and they would be able to get things that your nephew really needs. Asda do really cheap wooden puzzles (£1.66) and other toys that my almost 2 year old loves.
  • I think the idea of a subscription to a local activity is a fantastic idea.

I would however as others have suggested call SIL and check if they would appreciate it (they might already have their week booked out, mine is packed that there are only a couple of days each week that I can go to activities as I have mother and baby groups I have gone to since my son was born and would hate to miss them) so check if tumble tots or an equivalent run on a suitable date.

What a thoughtful aunt you are.
  • From Tomthumb "If they don't have much money why don't you offer them a night or two of babysitting and treat them to a nice meal or even a cheap hotel room - that would be the best present I could get!!"

My mum did this for us when DD1 was little, 9 months later DD2 turned up! :rotfl:
    :snow_laug HM Christmas 2010
    Knitted squares - [STRIKE]6[/STRIKE]13. pages of ideas - [STRIKE]7[/STRIKE] 19:rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure