Unsuitable foster carers

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
16 replies 2.6K views
tired_mumtired_mum Forumite
2.3K Posts
Hi need some advice someone we know has just had a panel to become a fosterer I cant think of 2 less suitable people to foster kids if i tried the wife I have witnessed verbally abusing and belittling kids and if she dislikes the parents god help the child The husband is aggressive and has threatend people one of their kids was accused on a trip of inappropriate behaviour with a girl who complained and the wife said she deserved it as everyone had had a piece of her:eek: What do I do can anyone help me i am frightened that vunerable kids will go into this couples care

Replies

• tehonetehone Forumite
    614 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    There's quite a long 6 month process to go through, so they'd be hopefully weeded out at that stage. If you have concerns however then contact the Fostering Team/Child Protection Team of your Local Authority.

I've just seen where you live - so you need to contact Essex County Council - report your concerns by writing them down (even if you actuallty phone them, writing it down will make it clearer for you when you explain) and making sure your concerns are specific and detailed (with concrete examples rather than vague assertions)
  • MipsMips Forumite
    19.8K Posts
    In it for the money obviously... make a complaint to Social Services.

You owe that to any prospective foster children :(
    :cool:
  • tired_mumtired_mum Forumite
    2.3K Posts
    obviously cant say too much on here but I wouldnt let her look after my goldfish she surrounds herself with work collegues and close friends at the youth club thing she runs so you find it hard to complain to anyone and she also makes it clear by the way she talks about the kids who she dislikes 2 other parents told me she had said how she disliked my daughter yet her own son threatened to smash my childs face in :mad:
  • MipsMips Forumite
    19.8K Posts
    tired_mum wrote: »
    obviously cant say too much on here but I wouldnt let her look after my goldfish she surrounds herself with work collegues and close friends at the youth club thing she runs so you find it hard to complain to anyone and she also makes it clear by the way she talks about the kids who she dislikes 2 other parents told me she had said how she disliked my daughter yet her own son threatened to smash my childs face in :mad:

Oh dear :(

Sadly there is so much money attached to foster caring.. loads of unsuitable people do it.

If there weren't that amount of money attached though, would many do it?

So it's difficult.. so many kids needing homes...

I just feel for the children going to carers who don't do it for the right reasons. Vulnerable children are in care...and they need good supportive carers :mad:

Imagine being taken from your Mum.. and placed with someone who couldn't care less? How awful.
    :cool:
  • dora37dora37 Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    tehone wrote: »
    There's quite a long 6 month process to go through, so they'd be hopefully weeded out at that stage.

Isn't the 6 month process before the panel? I thought the panel was the last part of the process?
  • sarah_smurfsarah_smurf Forumite
    270 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I thought it was longer than 6 months before they get approved, or has it changed or do different counties/foster companies have different times? As I know a couple who applied, and their case took roughly 2 years because of all the checks, before they were allowed to foster and they had clean criminal records and everything else as far as I was aware.

And yes I think going to the panel is the last part of it as its where they have all your info and then make the decision. Well it was in friends case anyway :)
    O
  • OldernotwiserOldernotwiser
    37.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The panel is where you get the final acceptance as foster carers which means that these people have been through the whole screening and training process. The next step will be for them to be matched with children needing care.
  • mary43mary43 Forumite
    5.8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm a foster carer and when I started some 17 years ago the whole process took 12 months and we were interviewed, references obtained, CRB checks along with health etc. It really was a very thorough process. I think now different areas may assess their prospective foster carers over a lesser period of time but I'd have thought any worries the authority had over this particular couple would have been found out by now.
    The panel is the last stage of the process and if nothing has become apparent to the authority then you should let them know.
    It's very important as a carer to be able to work with the parents as well as the child who comes into care.
    There is money involved particularly with very difficult children and young people and in many cases, quite rightly so, as it is a very difficult job to do and quite honestly I don't really imagine anyone would do it purely and simply for financial reward but I can only speak from my own experience and that of other carers I have known for many years.
    Please let the authorities know what you think -its up to them then to make a judgement. The panel may be the final stage of the process but it still isn't too late for the authorities to step in.
    I would hate to think of a child or young person being placed in a situation where they wouldn't feel safe and secure.
    Mary

I'm creative -you can't expect me to be neat too !
    (Good Enough Member No.48)
  • OldernotwiserOldernotwiser
    37.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dippychick wrote: »
    Oh dear :(

Sadly there is so much money attached to foster caring.. loads of unsuitable people do it.

There's really only a lot of money involved with the most challenging young people and then at least one of the carers is supposed to treat it as a job. (The professional fostering allowances are taxed.) For more normal fostering the maintenance allowances are not large and often don't cover all the costs of keeping the child. (Although they're rather more generous than they used to be.)
  • tehonetehone Forumite
    614 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    dora37 wrote: »
    Isn't the 6 month process before the panel? I thought the panel was the last part of the process?

Yes it is, I didn't read the post properly the first time (it was late!)
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Energy price cap could be extended beyond 2023

New plans have just been announced by the Government

MSE News

Cheap contents insurance for tenants

DON'T assume your landlord covers you

MSE Guides

Summer sizzlers round-up

Incl £2ish sun cream & £1.50 disposable BBQs

MSE Deals