EDF gas problem

when we moved here 2 weeks back there was a pre-payment gas meter that EDF who supply the electric told us was theirs, they supplied it [the gas]

quite happy with this arrangement for now. so i thought

put 10 pound of gas on it took 7 pound as a 'debit'. i assumed not having had a pre-payment before that this was for future 'emergency' use.

next 10 put on as running loq and it took a further 7 quid. not happy

call to EDF and they sent me a cheque for 14 pound and said british gas were taking money for a standing charge which they shouldnt. confirmed that our 'paypoint' would be informed and no future probs will occur.

also the bloke said there is no debt showing and thus their team of people who reset meters are refusing to come out and do a reset.

today put 20 on and 6.30 gets debited :mad: as 'debt'

call them again and they said they will send a card to pop in the meter to take readings of whats happening as at their end it shows no debt

has anyone any ideas? im furious
There's someone in my head, but it's not me

Comments

• Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Afraid I cant advise you on that particular problem but I would get the meter changed to a normal one anyway. I believe that rates are higher for prepayment meters
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,036
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Forumite
    Phone up EDF and tell them to put a normal meter in!! Those pre-pay meters are a VERY expensive way to use gas/elec!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Looks like the prepayment meter is still set to collect a debt owed by the previous owners/tenants.

We had this problem when we finished paying off our debt. Took them ages to sort it out, and they continued to deduct £5 every time we put £10 on. Then they tried to deny that they were still deducting the money.

We changed back to papers bills in the end.

BTW it does cost more to pay by prepayment meters on gas and electric.
    Proud to be dealing with my debts ONE day at a time
    Stopped smoking 25.05.07 - Saving £7.80 a day
    :j Successfully claimed bank charges of £2598.39 as of 1st June 2007:j
  • I'd certainly ask them to change the meter.

Keep your paypoint reciepts as well, so hopefully, the outstanding 'debt' which is being taken off your payments is refunded to you.

Your meter is supposed to be reset when you move in according to our provider, because our next door neighbour has one, it was there when she moved in and they sent Wales & West utilities out to reset them both on the day after she moved in, mind you I think she kicked up a row before she moved in as she knew the people had a debt on the meter and had been stung before.

Good luck with it all, I hope it gets sorted out for you.

DM
    £2 Coin Savers Club (Christmas)- £86
    £1 Jar (Christmas)- £29
    Christmas Vouchers Saved: £145
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business