Burgled by ex partner !! Help needed please

Hi,

I am in a tricky situation at the moment and I just do not know what to do, I was living with my ex for 2.5 yrs and she announced that she wanted out of the relationship.

We had a house together that was worth 100% of the mortgage, I didnt want to sell the house as I would have been giving it away in the current market and we would have got less than full asking as some DIY needed finishing, I managed to get a 2nd job and take the house off her.

The situation was that to let her out of the mortgage quickly so she could go and rent a flat was that she takes certain items out of the house and pays me £ 1740, half of a loan for a TV, half of the credit card bill and half of the overdraft, she agreed to this verbally over the phone but would have to get a bank loan to cover the 1740, After the house was transferred into my name soley, she gave me £500 and then broke into the house, through an open window and took more than we had previously agreed, we didnt have solicitors involved as all seemed ok, but I must have been wrong.

Where do I stand about taking civil action as the police have said that it isnt breaking & Entering as she has only taken her stuff, but it was all bought by the two of us. which included gifts from her family to the two of us. She has cleaned the house out, I lost 2 setee's, a plasma screen TV which still has finance owing and the agreement is in my name, we paid the 2nd one off with a advance on our last mortgage so I am still technically paying for it, does that make it mine ? a microwave (gift), kettle & toaster bought by the two of us, and lots of other things.

We had a joint account together into which I paid between £800 / £900 each month compared to her £600 / £700 as I earned more so the more debt we accrued together the more I paid in to cover it.

As a summary, I have spent 2.5 yrs paying in £200 a month more than her and been left with a house which has more owing on it than what it is worth, and have now lost most of the stuff we bought together ?

All I want is her to pay me the money I feel Im owed, also we have a loan in joint names at 7.5k which she hasnt paid me for in the last 2 months, where do I stand with that one ?

Cheers,,

Comments

• BlondeHeadOn
    BlondeHeadOn Posts: 2,267
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    This sounds like you need some legal advice, maybe start with one of the 'free half-hour ' offers to see if you can find a solictor who will be helpful.

I can't offer any more advice than this, but just want to bump this up as I think others might have some helpful comments.

And hugs, because you must be feeling awful about this - what a horrible thing to happen.

:grouphug:
  • Slapps
    Slapps Posts: 654 Forumite
    migualdo wrote: »
    Hi,

I am in a tricky situation at the moment and I just do not know what to do, I was living with my ex for 2.5 yrs and she announced that she wanted out of the relationship.

We had a house together that was worth 100% of the mortgage, I didnt want to sell the house as I would have been giving it away in the current market and we would have got less than full asking as some DIY needed finishing, I managed to get a 2nd job and take the house off her.

The situation was that to let her out of the mortgage quickly so she could go and rent a flat was that she takes certain items out of the house and pays me £ 1740, half of a loan for a TV, half of the credit card bill and half of the overdraft, she agreed to this verbally over the phone but would have to get a bank loan to cover the 1740, After the house was transferred into my name soley, she gave me £500 and then broke into the house, through an open window and took more than we had previously agreed, we didnt have solicitors involved as all seemed ok, but I must have been wrong.

Where do I stand about taking civil action as the police have said that it isnt breaking & Entering as she has only taken her stuff, but it was all bought by the two of us. which included gifts from her family to the two of us. She has cleaned the house out, I lost 2 setee's, a plasma screen TV which still has finance owing and the agreement is in my name, we paid the 2nd one off with a advance on our last mortgage so I am still technically paying for it, does that make it mine ? a microwave (gift), kettle & toaster bought by the two of us, and lots of other things.

We had a joint account together into which I paid between £800 / £900 each month compared to her £600 / £700 as I earned more so the more debt we accrued together the more I paid in to cover it.

As a summary, I have spent 2.5 yrs paying in £200 a month more than her and been left with a house which has more owing on it than what it is worth, and have now lost most of the stuff we bought together ?

All I want is her to pay me the money I feel Im owed, also we have a loan in joint names at 7.5k which she hasnt paid me for in the last 2 months, where do I stand with that one ?

Cheers,,

I'm pretty sure that if she was still on the mortgage then she would have a right to break in but as it had already been put into your name soley then is this not break in and entering? even if some of the stuff in there was hers. I know it's not quite the same but my money is in my bank but that still don't mean that I can break in and take it when I feel like it, so I'm surprised that the police are not taking an interest in this. sorry I can't help but I hope you get things sorted and agree that you should get legal advice just so you know where you stand before taking any action that could get you into more trouble than your ex.
    tc xxxxxxx
    1st son born 11/02/05 2nd son born 09/01/08
    thats all i'm adding to the human race so think yourselfs lucky lol
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills