Connaught Collections - is this for real?

Options
Hi hope someone over here can help. I am not considering bankruptcy as with CCCS

Quick question - i am on a 'Low Start DMP' with CCCS because I only just have enough to make more than token payments. There is a DCA who write to me demanding payment for a debt I have never heard of. They have never proven the debt. They have sent a Statutory Demand - to which i replied asking for proof, which never came. I did not include them in the DMP as i am not willing to acknowledge this debt. Now they have sent a letter saying they are in a position to present a Bankruptcy Petition.

Shoudl I just pass this to CCCS?

Advice from fermi in the past was to contact CCCS which I did, and was told they would have to prove the debt which they have consistently failed to do. it is to CitiFinancial who I have not heard of. There is a listing on my credit file for this and it goes back to a default in 2002 but I still don't know who its for.
Debts at LBM - Mortgages £128497 - non mortgage £27497 Debt now £[STRIKE]114150[/STRIKE][STRIKE]109032[/STRIKE] 64300 (mortgage) Credit cards left 0

"The days pass so fast, let's try to make each one better than the last"

Comments

• peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    From recent postings it would seem connaght have stepped up their debt collection tactics and are now petitioning for bankruptcy, even on unprovable and paid debts, so yes, this is for real.

What date is the default notice in 2002, is it statute barred yet?

I wouldn't just hand this over to CCCS, if they don't deal with it in time you'll find yourself in court.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • blind-as-a-bat_2
    Options
    Hi hope someone over here can help. I am not considering bankruptcy as with CCCS

Quick question - i am on a 'Low Start DMP' with CCCS because I only just have enough to make more than token payments. There is a DCA who write to me demanding payment for a debt I have never heard of. They have never proven the debt. They have sent a Statutory Demand - to which i replied asking for proof, which never came. I did not include them in the DMP as i am not willing to acknowledge this debt. Now they have sent a letter saying they are in a position to present a Bankruptcy Petition.

Shoudl I just pass this to CCCS?

Advice from fermi in the past was to contact CCCS which I did, and was told they would have to prove the debt which they have consistently failed to do. it is to CitiFinancial who I have not heard of. There is a listing on my credit file for this and it goes back to a default in 2002 but I still don't know who its for.

When you say you asked them to prove the debt, just how did you do this? and do you have proof the letters requesting it where sent AND recieved (via recorded delivery for example)
    Thats it, i am done, Blind-as-a-Bat has left the forum, for good this time, there is no way I can recover this account, as the password was random, and not recorded, and the email used no longer exits, nor can be recovered to recover the account, goodbye all …………. :(
  • blind-as-a-bat_2
    Options
    Today I have received yet another letter from Connaught Collections acting for 1st Credit (whoever they are) - CitiFinancial - stating they they are now in a position to petition for bankruptcy after recent delivery of Statutory Demand.

They have still never told me what the debt is for, I have never heard of either company and requests for proof of debt go unanswered. If they do prove the debt, then they can just join the queue along with everyone else. I am now on a DMP with CCCS so not sure how this will affect it. I have not included this in my figures because i don't know what it is.

Will ring CCCS for advice anyway but wondered if anybody else has had this letter

From your post elswhere i see they are moveing into position to petition you for bankruptcy so you are past the SD stage if thats correct.

Have you been served any thing oficialy regarding Bankruptcy yet?
    Thats it, i am done, Blind-as-a-Bat has left the forum, for good this time, there is no way I can recover this account, as the password was random, and not recorded, and the email used no longer exits, nor can be recovered to recover the account, goodbye all …………. :(
  • fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    Just because the have stated that "we are now in a position to petition for your bankruptcy" doesn't mean they will actually do it.
    From recent postings it would seem connaght have stepped up their debt collection tactics and are now petitioning for bankruptcy, even on unprovable and paid debts, so yes, this is for real.

Considering the hundreds (probably thousands) of SDs that these people have sent out with no bankruptcy petition being forthcoming, then that is a big conclusion to jump to based on one recent example.

It might happen, but I would say the odds are still against it.

They are still not likely to pay over £1,000 in up front fees/costs to try to make you bankrupt if it is doubtful that they will succeed or get anything back from the bankruptcy. Bankruptcy is normally very much more efficient as a threat than it is as a way of recovering debt. That is why these horrible people like using it as a threat so much.

As suggested in the other thread by CCCS, have you requested a copy of the agreement yet?

See: Factsheet | Getting a copy of your credit agreement, account details and a statement of account.

Failure to comply with that, plus failure to prove the debt in the past would give you some good grounds to defend if they should go for it.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • blind-as-a-bat_2
    Options
    fermi wrote: »
    Just because the have stated that "we are now in a position to petition for your bankruptcy" doesn't mean they will actually do it.

Sorry wasnt saying they would, only they "could" as they deem the SD bit as fulfilled.

I dont know if the OP has property with equity fermi (maybe you do?) if not then i agree its most likely a bluff, but if the OP does own property then i would treat it as serious in light of recent posts here an elswhere as it seems if a land regestry search shows that you do own property it increases the chances a bit they may follow through
  • fermi
    Options
    Well, I can only remember one case where they have actually made someone bankrupt, and the made such a balls up of that procedurally that the defendant was able to get it annulled a short while later.

But I agree, there is no absolute guarantee that they won't go ahead.
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

• fermi
    Options
    I dont know if the OP has property with equity fermi (maybe you do?)

Looks like the OPs property is in negative equity Bat.

Negative Equity - advice please

• blind-as-a-bat_2
    Options
    Looks like the OPs property is in negative equity Bat.

Negative Equity - advice please

Then Connaught will lose one way or another in the long run:p

And if the request for proof of the debt was correctly sent there on a non starter anyway;) :p
  • peachyprice
    peachyprice Posts: 22,346 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Considering the hundreds (probably thousands) of SDs that these people have sent out with no bankruptcy petition being forthcoming, then that is a big conclusion to jump to based on one recent example.

Not jumping to conclusions Fermi, but I think it's wise to add Connaught to the list of those more likely to actually follow through.

By the same token, not everyone who has been made BR by Connaught will post on an internet forum. Given the consequence of being petitioned is it not better to err on the side of caution?
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
  • fermi
    Options
    Seeing one or two examples makes it very slightly more likely, but not a lot.

I've discussed this via PM and email with a few CCCS and NDL advisers a little while ago, and they have seen hundreds of these threats that haven't been posted on a forum.

Neither of them could remember them ever going through with a petition either.

So at the moment, Connaughts/1st Credit actually going through with a bankruptcy is a very rare exception to the general rule.

But I agree, it is best to err on the side of caution as long as that means you stand your ground. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure