British Gas servicing

David_Aston
David_Aston Posts: 1,160 Forumite
First Post
Forgive me for perhaps not finding the relevant thread.
Simply, does anyone know of a reliable alternative to using British Gas for servicing central heating and fixing breakdowns. I won't bore you with the relevant, contacting, appointment window honouring, then inability to fix, problems which have come up in the last three days! (I know, become a corgi registered plumber!)
OK, I am simply having a moan. Hopefully somewhere near the correct board.

Comments

• elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    We had the same trouble. We paid a set sum for maintenance of gas fires etc and every year there seemed to be something else that was found that cost us money.

We found someone who is Corgi registered and used to work for British gas then set up on his own - he calls when he says he will , does a good job, cleans up after himself and will call in to sort out a problem if one developes during the year.

He is also a lot cheaper! We only found him through word of mouth.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,036 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    There are loads and loads of threads about BG Servicing. If you read them you will get a fair cross-section of views.

Some are critical, some are full of praise. However having read them all I don't think you will find any other scheme that is any better.

Most people treat BG servicing as an 'insurance policy'. However there is a valid counter view that you should save your 'premiums' as carry out repairs as required.

I think lots of people would be happy to find a reliable Corgi register fitter instead of BG. However around here they have joined the ranks of the super-rich and talk in £hundreds for a visit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure