Putting washing machine under the stairs

Hi,

I have an under the stairs cupboard which currently comes off my lounge.

I am having someone in to change it so the entrance is from my kitchen, so it will be a nice little laundry room. The idea is to house my washing machine and tumble dryer in there. Obviously this is far away from my sink, so how would this be done?
I am not going to do it myself but would like to have an understanding of how this can be done.
The electric meter and gas meter are all located in this cupbaord too, are there any problems with that? If so any ways round it.

Has anyone else ever done this?

Thanks!

Comments

• ic
    ic Posts: 3,291 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    I recently moved my washing machine to under the stairs. I planned ahead and installed drainage running up the side of the house from the main inspection chamber round the back. Drilled out through the wall and fitted the drain. Ran a pushfit pipe from an existing accessible pipe in the bathroom upstairs to the cupboard for the supply, and then added an electric socket to the ring for it.

Not much to it in complexity, just lots to do. Ultimately depends on where the drains are near to the cupboard outside - make sure your water is going into a drain intended for it, and not just a rainwater drain that may end up in a near by stream. Also consider the suitability of the floor. In my kitchen the floor was concrete, so there was little noise when the machine shook. Its now on a wooden floor, but sandwiched between two brick walls, which help to keep the noise down.
  • Thanks for your useful answers.

I take it the drain could be any drain as long as it's not a rain water one?

If that's the case I do have a drain nearby which was used for the old bathroom (I have moved the bathroom from its original location), so hopefully that should be ok.

I wich I'd have thought about doing this earlier, but my brother assures me its not too late and he knows his stuff so I'm putting my trust in him :-)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure