Cheapest Oil & Filter Change

Options

Comments

• hewhoisnotintheknow
    Options
    i do my oil my self, and oddly a new filter and corect oil is cheaper from them than it is from halfords!
  • TiTheRev
    TiTheRev Posts: 3,215 Forumite
    Options
    i do my oil my self, and oddly a new filter and corect oil is cheaper from them than it is from halfords!
    Halfords are such a default for most people, we have guys coming in to our dealership saying 'We can't find the right wiper/filter/paint etc at Halfords', and when we tell them we've got it in stock and the cost, the usual reply is 'That's nearly half the Halfords price'! Plus it's guaranteed to fit, it's OE and ALL parts comes with a nationwide dealer backed 2year warranty. It's not rocket science ;)
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • hewhoisnotintheknow
    Options
    TiTheRev wrote: »
    Halfords are such a default for most people, we have guys coming in to our dealership saying 'We can't find the right wiper/filter/paint etc at Halfords', and when we tell them we've got it in stock and the cost, the usual reply is 'That's nearly half the Halfords price'! Plus it's guaranteed to fit, it's OE and ALL parts comes with a nationwide dealer backed 2year warranty. It's not rocket science ;)

I've been known to buy things in halfords and sell them for more on ebay ;)
  • TiTheRev
    TiTheRev Posts: 3,215 Forumite
    Options
    I am actually not surprised, some people just dont know! :rolleyes:
    :A Luke 6:38 :A
    The above post is either from personal experience or is my opinion based on the person God has made me and the way I understand things. Please don't be offended if that opinion differs from yours, but feel free to click the 'Thanks' button if it's at all helpful!
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    Options
    theloft wrote: »
    Trip to buy parts (don't forget sump washer),
    time spent to see who has the best price for oil. £30 outlay - hardly half price !!

if you drain oil with fluid extractor then theres no need for a sump plug washer.
    ...work permit granted!
  • goldspanners
    goldspanners Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    Options
    loofer wrote: »
    I'm probaly being a bit pedantic here...:p
    The pipe might reach the bottom of the sump but that may not be the lowest point of the sump if you get what I mean.

The sump is shaped a bit like |______|
    | with one half (front) of it raised from the bottom. That is where the dipstick goes and so the oil will be drained upto that level. The remaining oil is not alot (as the sump isn't extremely corrugated/raised) but it may still sit in the engine.

By draining oil from the plug underneath you are allowing gravity to do the work for you at actually getting the oil out (and any sludge that will follow).

i know what you mean,but if the sump holds 5 litres then wiggle the pipe around until you remove 5 litres.

and if you change the oil regularly yourself then the sludge becomes less of a problem.
    ...work permit granted!
  • JDMYOFAN
    JDMYOFAN Posts: 329 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Halfords was actually £7 cheaper on the Oil i used than Tesco, I was in a rush and it was late so I couldn't be arsed going elsewhere :)

If you're donig an OIL CHANGE (Which includes getting a bit dirty and taking a spanner to the car), read the guide (link) I posted.

Then you'll need washers, oil filter, blahblahblah
  • northern_munky
    Options
    Be very careful using National especially if your car takes more than 5 litres of oil. I booked an oil and filter change online for Magnatec 5W30 for £24.30. The day before I rang to ask what time I should go in and they said they wanted an extra £10 because my car took 6.5 litres. I said no as I had already paid, they said I should go in and they would see what they could do. Anyway they did the job, told me they had used 5W30 but the recepit said they'd used 10W40.

I was so concerened I complained to head office two days later, I heard nothing, so ended up changing it again myself that week. I wrote lots emails and phoned them, just made a nuisance of myself and finally this week after five weeks of complaining, they admitted they had used the wrong oil and said they would fully refund me. Never again!
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Such as what excatly?
  • roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Be very careful using National especially if your car takes more than 5 litres of oil. I booked an oil and filter change online for Magnatec 5W30 for £24.30. The day before I rang to ask what time I should go in and they said they wanted an extra £10 because my car took 6.5 litres. I said no as I had already paid, they said I should go in and they would see what they could do. Anyway they did the job, told me they had used 5W30 but the recepit said they'd used 10W40.

I was so concerened I complained to head office two days later, I heard nothing, so ended up changing it again myself that week. I wrote lots emails and phoned them, just made a nuisance of myself and finally this week after five weeks of complaining, they admitted they had used the wrong oil and said they would fully refund me. Never again!
    Their T&Cs state "MAX 6 Ltrs Oil", not 5.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure