British Gas Customer - do I change?

Options
spark79
spark79 Posts: 11 Forumite
Hello,

I'm hoping someone can offer me some advice. I have always been with British Gas, I am on their Standard tarrif for both Gas and Electric on dual fuel discount. I pay by monthly Direct Debit.

Obviously I am going to be affected by these price rises. I have been on to the comparison sites energyhelpline and moneysupermarket. I am looking for a capped product and both have suggested Eon Price Protection 2009,apparently it will save me about £39.

I find the prices all very confusing so I rang British Gas to see exactly what I will be paying with their price rise. I just want to clarify that switching to Eon seems a sensible thing to do?

This is what British Gas say I'll now be paying with them
Gas
7.203p for the first 672kwh then;
3.632p

Electric
25.628p for the first 125 kwh then;
11.42p

Eon's capped (until Oct 2009) tarrif appears to be
Eon
Gas
5.314p for the first 670kwh then;
3.387p

Electric
20.475p for the first 225kwh then;
12.338p

The lady I spoke to at British Gas started telling me I could cap the new prices until 2011. Is switching to Eon the right thing to do or not?

As I say I have never switched before, is it a very complicated process? Anything I should know?

Thanks in advance.

Deb

Comments

• derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Here is a radical idea, BG has kicked all of their customers in the teeth, why not get every customer who is with BG to switch to a different supplier,(most would benefit anyway and if using a switching site should receive £20-30 for switching), and see how BG manages without ANY customers!

Just an idea, but it would certainly give BG,(and other companies), food for thought.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• kjsmith7
    kjsmith7 Posts: 519 Forumite
    Options
    Okay well one thing to point out - those BG prices appear to me to be minus VAT, and I presume the Eon prices are also without VAT, which is 5%. One other thing to note is that the tier 1 kWh for BG gas is 670 not 672. Eons tier 1 threshold is a 100 units higher a quarter than British Gas' and then their tier 2 is more expensive.

With BG you'll pay roughly £33.64 at tier 1 electric. With Eon, you'll pay roughly £48.37 at tier 1 electric, which equates to a £14.73 difference. Look at the gas yourself, though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure