Low Credit Tv Advert

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
10 replies 913 views
jackiegibbojackiegibbo Forumite
603 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
Hi everyone sorry if this is in the wrong place.I am doing this on behalf of a friend who saw an advert on tv last night from a company called OUR HOUSE???? i cant find it on the net.She badly needs a washing machine and pc and she has a very low credit score so cant go to somewhere like currys.Anyone any advice please

many thanks
jackiegibson

Replies

• I think it would be Brighthouse.

I wouldn't touch them.
    Gone ... or have I?
  • billieboy_2billieboy_2 Forumite
    1.4K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    Is it Brighthouse? Looks like expensive credit.
  • ailuro2ailuro2 Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    You may be able to pick up a washing machine on freecycle, someone who is moving to a house with an integral appliance etc.

Or try the second hand pages of the local paper, etc.

PC can be used for free in the local library until she saves up a bit for an entry level model, or again, try the second hand listings.

Maybe she has a local 'cash converter' to buy second hand stuff from?

Brighthouse charge disgusting amounts of interest,(29.9%) and the prices are quite high to begin with. (£250 for cheapest washing machine, which can be bought for around £160 elsewhere- she could end up paying £500 for that £160 washer:eek:)
    They are targetting people who can't get credit, and making them pay though the nose.:mad:

If she can make do with what second hand until she finds a bit of money to pick up a cheap special offer somewhere I reckon she will save enough on the washing machine to pay for a cheap pc. She can then sell on the second hand kit for around the same price.;)
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • ailuro2ailuro2 Forumite
    7.5K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Member of the first Mortgage Free in 3 challenge, no.19
    Balance 19th April '07 = minus £27,640
    Balance 1st November '09 = mortgage paid off with £1903 left over. Title deeds are now ours.
  • pinkshoespinkshoes Forumite
    18.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi everyone sorry if this is in the wrong place.I am doing this on behalf of a friend who saw an advert on tv last night from a company called OUR HOUSE???? i cant find it on the net.She badly needs a washing machine and pc and she has a very low credit score so cant go to somewhere like currys.Anyone any advice please

many thanks
    jackiegibson

Could she not just save up for them like most people do, and in the mean time use the computer at the local library, and use a laudrette?

She'll end up paying 3 times as much if she buys them on credit from somewhere like Brighthouse! Those TV ads should be banned!

Try Freecycle too, or buy a second hand one. You can get a second hand PC for about £30, with everything you need on it!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • Shes gone off to a place called dorsetreclaim to look at machines
  • moneysaver12moneysaver12 Forumite
    2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    i would stay well away from this place, to start with they are dearer than most shops like currys then you will be paying double back.
    Married 09/09/09
  • squashysquashy Forumite
    951 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    PLease please please tell your friend to steer clear of brighthouse. Any shope that advertises its expensive wares as costing "only £5 a week" or whatever is dodgy to me. If you check the small print what will be paid back will be four or five times what it would cost for a basic item from somewhere like currys. An horrendous shop praying on the vulnerable like your friend.

Good advice above about maybe saving up for one or checking freecycle etc.
  • onlyrozonlyroz Forumite
    17.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd suggest trying ebay, or the local paper, for a second-hand one, or freecycle.
  • jackiegibbojackiegibbo Forumite
    603 Posts
    thankyou everyone for your comments she got one from dorset reclamation as i pointed out what you all said about brighthouse:D

many thanks for all the advice
    jackiegibson
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides

Cinema MoneySaving tips & tricks

Including year's 2for1 movies for £1

MSE Deals