Advice on travelling round the world?

Options
Okay - my partner and I may be looking to do some travelling for a few months at the end of 2005 / beginning of 2006 8). Never been 'travelling' (as opposed to 'on holiday') before and wondered if anyone can answer a few questions to help kick-start my research.

I have already seen the following posts, but had some specific questions:

6 weeks around the world - http://forum.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Travel;action=display;num=1088261598;start=6#6

Round the world tickets -http://forum.moneysavingexpert.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=Travel;action=display;num=1086113993;start=1#1

Travelling in General
Now this sounds a little strange - I am really excited about the prospect of travelling for a few months, but I am a bit confused about what you actually do when you 'travel'. I have always thought I would go somewhere like Canada or New Zealand, stick around for a while and work in a few different places. But we have the opportunity to just travel, with no need to work as we go along, and I was wondering how soon I would get bored...

So, what do you do - do you go see the sights, hang out in the bars, hit the beach?? I'm the kind of person that likes having things to do. How long could you do this before you get sick of it? ???

Tickets
I've got some good info on ticket providers, but any other tips would be good. In particular, we may want to vistit a few places not normally seen on Round the World (RTW) tickets - in particular Montserrat and Tasmania. Has anyone been to either of these places on a RTW ticket?

Accomodation
Any tips on good deals on accomodation? Hostels is the obvious, but what is generally the next cheapest option?

As it's sort of a honeymoon, I don't really fancy sleeping in bunk beds the whole time (okay on a couple of occassions). Most of the two person rooms we've had at hostels in the UK and Ireland are either bunk beds or two single beds bolted down so we can't move them. Is this the same in other countries?

Also - what's the smoking situation like in hostels around the world? Do people generally smoke in rooms? There's nothing worse than trying to get to sleep with a lung full of someone else's smoke.

Gotta run and may ask more questions later, but any info on the above would be useful.

Thanks

KG

Comments

• System
    System Posts: 178,102 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Travel light, otherwise your luggage will get on your nerves. You're there to have a good time with each other, not to show you have a differing outfit for everyday. Don't set yourself tight timetables.... The best laid plans and all that.
    Get yourself a Lonely Planet guide.
    If travelling for three months or less, get yourself Liverpool Victoria Annual travel insurance. DON'T SKIMP ON THIS.
    £120 or so with get you an annual policy for both of you, covering trips of up to 3 months at a time with no excess payable.
    If trip is longer than three months, you'll need to buy a single trip policy.

For general shopping and spending, use the Nationwide BS products.
    Do some research to see how much things should cost. The first day in a new place is prime 'rip off' time.

Blah blah, blah...
  • Travelqueen
    Travelqueen Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    Join the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree Forums - people there will be able to answer a myriad of questions, and you may find some of yours have already been answered.

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/

As for what to do... ::) enjoy yourself, drink in the new experiences - sometimes the most fun to be had is doing what would be mundane at home, for example, going for a curry in India is different from a curry at home, watching the sunset in Cambodia, camel treks in the Pakistani desert, trekking in the Himalayas and trying things that you would never have the money or opportunity to do at home, riding an elephant, seeing Rhinos in the wild, parachuting!

Also: main rules are:

take half as many clothes and twice as much money as you think you'll need - you can always get what you've forgotten and that 'essential' pair of shoes will seem less so when you're lugging it up the 4th flight of steps will all your other 'essentials'

keep safe, but remember, the only things you can't replace are yourself and your family / friends - don't put yourself under unneccessary risk to keep belongings.

buy as good a camera as you can afford, and be prepared to part with it if you have to (as above) - i.e. don't take anything you are not prepared to lose (NB I never have, but you might be unlucky)

don't skimp on the insurance / injections / medical supplies - a lot do, and I've had to dose a few with the excess I always carry to get them through the night until medical attention can be reached

always carry copies of your passport and other documents in 3 or 4 places - I always stuff one set where my rucksack straps join the bag for eg

have a rough idea where you want to go & how much you want to spend, but be prepared to be flexible for weather / security / some cool person you've had advise from

Don't do things in a strange country you wouldn't do in your dodgiest local area - for example, if you wouldn't wear a bikini and shorts at night in Toxteth / Brixton etc without expecting to get unwelcome attention, don't expect any different when abroad

Try not to arrive in a new town at night - or expect to get ripped off if you do by taxis / hotels - they know they have you at a disadvantage....

Travelling overnight is good though, you save on hotels!

Know when to bargain and when to stop, £1 may not be a lot to you, but may be another meal to the people you are bargaining with...

There are many many many tips, so read the forums, read lonely planet guides, get some books by local authors before you go to get a feel of the place, and, most of all, ENJOY IT! ;D

PS - Accomodation - footprint guides normally have slightly higher value accomodation listed than others, also, check the web beforehand if you want to prebook your first night for eg. (always a good idea when arriving in India)
    One day everything I earn will be mine and not the banks... ::rotfl:
  • RIP1_2
    RIP1_2 Posts: 21 Forumite
    Options
    It is true that the idea of "travelling" will conjure different images in peoples minds. Just look at The Beach with Leo!

The accomodation question is a good one. I can only speak of Australia and NZ but the hostels there are very good. There will be double rooms available of couples. They often get booked quickly though. However to combat your boredom/ things to do issue, a campervan might be a good idea. This will mean you have accomodation as well as when you feel the need to move on, you will have the transport to do it. This is very popular in NZ.

As for smoking, I have never been to a hostel that allowed smoking inside.

I would say remain flexible as you travel about. When you reach a place people will be there to talk to and they will often come up with ideas that you have not thought or heard about. Peoples experiences and advice are your best aid when travelling.

Whatever you decide you will have a great time
  • mystic_trev
    mystic_trev Posts: 5,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    All good advice queenie!

I've travelled around the World five times now! and been to over 80 countries (might try and count em one day) Great thing this Internet lark - You can find out information I'd never have found when I first travelled. I've found https://www.virtualtourist.com a great site - but there are plenty of others. Remember this is Your and your partners adventure - Too much planning can be a bad thing! Enjoy travelling a bit "on the hoof" I'm sure you will!

If you have any particular questions - please pm me.
  • KG
    KG Posts: 333 Forumite
    Options
    Cool - thanks for all the advice so far. ;D

Rip1 - a camper van sounds great! Any reccomendations for a good deal. Also, is it easy to find places to park up at night, or do they have loads of 'no overnight parking' car parks like in the UK?

One new question for you seasoned travellers:

If you had to recommend one place for us to see on our travels, where would it be?

Answers on a postcard...

KG
  • Travelqueen
    Travelqueen Posts: 204 Forumite
    Options
    Too many!

Ankor Wat - Cambodia

Torres del Paine - Southern Chile

Foz du Iguazu - Brasil

Jaislamir - India
    One day everything I earn will be mine and not the banks... ::rotfl:
  • mystic_trev
    mystic_trev Posts: 5,430 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    India "rings my bell" everytime! You may want to do other parts of SE Asia - Thailand, Malaysia or Indonesia - forget Bali, It's a dump, try one of the other Islands. Yes - Souh America's also great - I was in Chile and Argentina in Jan / Feb - stunning travelling across the Andes. You'll probably want to do Australia and NZ as well. Regarding stuff like flights from Australia to Tasmania - I did it online whilst I was there. Flight from Sydney to Launceston cost just under £100 return with Qantas (last Nov) but Virgin Blue's flights are very reasonable.
  • KG
    KG Posts: 333 Forumite
    Options
    Hey! You're all cheating - I said ONE place!!! ;D ;D ;D

KG
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts