We've changed the name of this board from 'Greenfingered MoneySaving' to simply 'Gardening'. This is to help make it easier to find for the horticulturally inclined. The URL remains unchanged for the time being, so all links to the board are unaffected.

Interesting find in my grow bags....

Options
I was watering my veggies in my growbags last nite and out jumped about 8 teenie little frogs!!

No gardens near me have a pond, and they are tiny about the size of a 20p piece! Not quite sure whether to leave them, or move them (not even sure where I would move them to to be honest!!)

I have had to leave them put today, and am just hoping that my cats dont find them!!

How strange is that?!

Comments

• WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Frogs or toads? I'd keep them as they'll eat slugs! I suspect that cats will quickly learn that toads (which is more likely) taste vile and will leave them alone (after the first one they catch sadly!)
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • Lord_Gardener
    Lord_Gardener Posts: 2,971 Forumite
    Options
    We also get a few each year which like to 'bathe' in our giant saucers which our tomato plant pots stand in!
    I'm mad!!!! :rotfl::jand celebrating everyday every year!!!
  • loopyloulou_3
    loopyloulou_3 Posts: 1,269 Forumite
    Options
    They def look like ickle frogs to me, I didnt even think that they could be toads. I'll have to check! Ooooh and didnt think of the excellent slug killers!!

They are SO cute, I just hope my cats resist the temptation to eat them today whilst I am at work!
  • Larumbelle
    Larumbelle Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    DEFINITELY let them be, frogs or toads, they'll eat slugs like there's no tomorrow! We have no nearby water either, but the seem to like the dew on the lawn in summer. I think they overwinter in our wildlife log pile but have no idea where they breed. My cat can't catch them as they're too quick for him (he's a little 'slow' in every sense of the word, I'm afraid) but most cats will go for frogs. Probably the best thing you can do is offer little hidy-holes like a pile of logs or stones for them?! On the bright side, the cat hasn't got them up till now, so maybe it's not interested/can't catch them/they're already hiding?
  • kazwookie
    kazwookie Posts: 13,843 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I've got a frog as well, the cats leave it alone, it spends its time between the pond and hiding under the viola plants !!

However it does not seem to eat any slugs etc!!
    Breast Cancer Now 2022 100 miles October 100 / 100miles
    Sun, Sea

2024 7/28 lbs to go.
  • loopyloulou_3
    Options
    Im guessing my cats havent spotted them yet. My cat is a total killer and brings me at least 4 pressies a week, mice, rats, worms (!), slow worms, birds and anything else she can get her paws on!

I'm going to get attached to these little cuties and then will find them on my door mat soon :-(

I will leave them where they are and let nature take its course, they seem quite happy (until I blasted them with the hose that is!)

Im gonna build some cat proof (if there is such a thing) froggie hidy holes tonight!!
  • 2cats1kid
    2cats1kid Posts: 1,179 Forumite
    Options
    We have frogs in our garden too. They are really cute and I'm trying to persuade DH to let me put a little pond in to encourage them to stay. I have no idea where they come from - nearest water I know of is a stream about 1/4 mile away, which would be a heck of a hop on little legs.
  • Larumbelle
    Larumbelle Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Options
    2cats 1 kid, my OH and landlord both said no to a pond (meanies) so I got a big old gravel tray (the kind that holds an entire growbag, pound shops sometimes have them) and put a tiny amount of gravel in it, then let it fill with rainwater. I have to keep an eye on it an top up from the water butt in dry weather. It is on the pation but it still attracts a surprising amount of wildlife and the birds like to drink from it too, they also seem to like eating insect larvae from it. It's not quite a pond, but it does bring some of the benefits and makes sure my wildlife friends get a drink.
  • loopyloulou_3
    Options
    I did leave them a little saucer of water, but dont want to encourage them out of their hiding place and directing into the cats mouths!!

Little makeshift pond sounds like an idea! Im still worried about getting attached, naming them etc! Will probably go home and count them 2nite to check none have been eaten!!
  • katiel
    katiel Posts: 170 Forumite
    Options
    You've probably got my frogs. In the spawning season I've counted over 50 in my pond, which make for a huge number of tadpoles, but by this time of year they've all hopped off to hide in the undergrowth. I suspect very few actually live in water - they just like damp, safe places. Our cat just looks with vague interest at any frogs he comes across, but next door's cat plays with them for a while and then leaves them upside down and squealing on the lawn. I put my gardening gloves on, turn them the right way up, and they're fine. (I once opened the cupboard where the cat food is kept and a frog hopped out onto my bare foot. That's when I squealed.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure