Help my company wont use insurance company

Options
Hi all
I did a silly thing yesterday,i put unleaded in my company diesel car,(ok so i`m a muppet).I took the car to the garage to be sorted(its still there).now while no estimate was given, £1200 was mentioned as a rough starting price.My problem comes from the fact that my company has mentioned that i might have to stand the full cost of £1200+.I`m on company car insurance and i had to agree a £500 insurance excess. Is it right that companies can refuse to use there insurance company? and do i have to pay more than the agreed £500 excess?, if so i feel very exposed as a 40k a year driver.
Every time I open my wallet the moths [email="escape?!?@$%"]escape ?!?@$%:doh:[/email]

Comments

• jobbingmusician
    Options
    I'm not sure if they can insist that you pay the full whack - what does your contract of employment say? - sounds worth consulting the CAB.

Having said that, £1200 sounds a hell of a lot for what is basically a simple job, surely, of unbolting a couple of bolts and draining the petrol tank..oh no, on second thoughts...you will have murdered the CAT, won't you? Sorry, when I did this (and it's VERY common!) I put diesel into a petrol tank, and it cost me less than £200 at a basic garage (including draining and refilling the tank!)..still sounds an awful lot of money. If (worst case scenario) you are paying, can't you get 3 estimates as a starter?
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Dr_Bob
    Dr_Bob Posts: 81 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks Its Sorted Now It Cost £250
    Every time I open my wallet the moths [email="escape?!?@$%"]escape ?!?@$%:doh:[/email]
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure