Moving to Gloucestershire

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
7 replies 803 views
AnnandoAnnando Forumite
458 Posts
Car Insurance Carver! Cashback Cashier
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Marriage, Relationships & Families
Hello everyone,

I'm not really sure where I should be posting this...
It is VERY likely that we will be moving to Gloucestershire within the very near future.
OH will be working in the Tewkesbury area and me probably in Birmingham (I have more flexibility).

I need some input on nice areas to live in in Gloucestershire. Nice villages that we might consider, or towns. Most expensive areas etc.. Any info / input is more than welcome as we have no idea what the different areas are like.
I saw a program recently talking about Bourton-on-the-water, but that is as far as my knowledge of the area goes. Sorry. :o

Also would welcome any sound advice on where NOT to buy or look...

Thank you in advance! We are planning a trip there for mid-August so any comments are more than welcome!

Cheers! Anne

Replies

• floss2floss2 Forumite
    8K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    What requirements do you have?

Schools? look on local Council websites
    Transport links? look at multi-map for online mapping for good roads to work
    Cost of property? look on rightmove for an idea of pricing
    Lifestyle? do you want (delete where appropriate) rural / urban / village / deli's / big supermarkets / wine bars / pubs / restaurants / coffee shops / tourists / gym / nursery / local community / garden / Post Office / pretty / functional........

Also, call some estate agents in that area to get a better idea of prices & what's available, and maybe to line up some viewings for when you go to visit.....
  • My inlaws live in Cheltenham so I know the area well-ish. Gloucestershire includes the Cotswolds and that is by far the pricier area to live in. Cheaper areas are Gloucester itself, the Forest of Dean area and the north of the county towards Worcestershire. The latter of these would be better from a commuting point of view.
    Self employed and loving it :D

Mummy to Natasha 25/09/08 :heart:
  • PaparikaPaparika Forumite
    2.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    hmmm wanna check house insurance and floods
    Life is about give and take, if you can't give why should you take?
  • SultanaSultana Forumite
    84 Posts
    I used to work near Tewkesbury and people whose OH's worked in Birmingham tended to live in or near Worcester or even Droitwich. Tewkesbury itself is mainly sprawling estates and is too big to be villagey and too small to have much going for it as a town.
  • PuzzledbubblesPuzzledbubbles Forumite
    1.9K Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Hey,

I live in cheltenham so hope ill be able to help.

Tewkesbury itslef is expensive - either that or there are a lot of poor people who had their houses damaged in the floods.

If you both drive Evesham is good - relatively small town with ammenities but right on the motorway and between Worcester and Cheltenham

Cheltenham is also good - Leckhampton is a nice area and still quite cheap, not far from a motorway link but would mean both of you would need to commute.

the Forest of dean is lovely but i would not say it is commutable, the A40 is a complete nightmare and is undergoing major road works - basically there is one road in and one road out lol - commute time to Cheltenham is normally around 40 mins non rush hour - add another 30 mins to get to tewkes

there is Hereford and Ross on Wye that are cheaper but the futher away the get the longer the commute to tewkesbury and then birmingham would be.

Brockworth is nice, its between Cheltenham and Gloucester and there are several new developments (including plans for a new school and shopping centre) but again further away from tewkes

It might be worth you considering Worcester since it is in between the two (but i dont know that area well)

Other areas i can think of are
    Hesters Way area - Cheltenham - budget and lots of council
    Princess Elizabeth way - Cheltenham - has had a bad reputation but is going through major redevelopment
    Swindon Villiage - depending on the property (and location) - near to 2 schools (primary, secondardy) a Nursery and the University
    Montpellier - Cheltenham
    Charlton Kings - Cheltenham
    Prestbury - Cheltenham

Gosh, ive written a lot - dont know if these are places you want to look - im good on the forest
    (mainly Cinderford, Coleford and Lydney) or Cheltenham and Brockworth (these are all places i have lived or that we are looking)

HTH

Puzzled
  • winnie81winnie81 Forumite
    887 Posts
    Hi there I live in Cirencester and I couldn't recommend it enough although it is a tad pricey to buy here. Have a look on right move for house prices in Gloucestershire and see what your budget allows and I am sure people here can recommend areas/schools/transport links etc

Good Luck on the search!

Claire x
    Wife to a great husband and mum to 4 fantastic kids 9,8,4,3 they drive me mad but I would do anything and give everything for my family :grinheart
  • kph100kph100 Forumite
    57 Posts
    Bishops Cleeve, 3 miles north of Cheltenham. Expensive but nice.
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Students - apply for uni funding NOW

If you plan to get a place via 'clearing'

MSE News

A guide to council tax bands

Lower your band & save £1,000s

MSE Guides