Army Training

Options
Dear All,
I come from Ghana in West Africa. I have been offered employment in the British Army as a Commonwealth soldier in Royal Artillery; and my chosen trade is Artillery Logistics. I will start the phase 1 army training (basic training) at Pirbright in Surrey, on the 10th October 2008 and I am looking forward to it.
On completion of my basic training, I will start the Phase 2 training (Trade Training) at Larkhill on Salisbury Plain.
Please I would like to know if there is a break (leave) for soldiers after the phase 2 training? If there's, how many days or weeks and can I travel to Ghana to visit?
Also, do the army pay part of air ticket to their Commonwealth soldiers to visit their families back home?
Please, I would be most grateful if you could kindly brief me more. Thank you very much and hoping to hear from you soon.

Comments

• barrybuden
    Options
    Try asking this question on www.militaryforums.co.uk someone there should be able to help you.
  • mitchaa
    mitchaa Posts: 4,487 Forumite
    Options
    You will get a break between phase 1 and phase 2 yes. You will certainly get leave in phase 2 training but this is scheduled rather than you just applying for it.

You may even possibly get a week off (over xmas) in phase 1.

Yes the Army will pay your travel back to your home nation
  • superjax01
    Options
    Unfortunately... the army won't pay for your travel back to your home country.
    My husband is a commonwealth soldier aswell, and we went back to South Africa two months ago and were not entitled to any sort of re-imbursement.

Although... If you are deployed, they do have GYH (Get You Home) which they would contribute partly to a flight ticket. But bear in mind. That's only when you are deployed.
  • silkyuk9
    silkyuk9 Posts: 2,815 Forumite
    Options
    my son did his phase 2 training at Larkhill, the training was only about 3 months. Then he was sent to Leciestershire, near Rutland Water where is regiment are now located. If i remember correctly he had a few weeks off before starting with his regiment.
    All the big powers they've silenced me. So much for free speech and choice on this fundamental human right, and outing the liars.
  • Furey
    Furey Posts: 27 Forumite
    Options
    mitchaa wrote: »
    You will certainly get leave in phase 2 training but this is scheduled rather than you just applying for it.
    actualy at the school of artillery they dont do block leave, so the first opportunity you would get to use your leave entitlement will probably be when you get to your unit.
    Debt free bangernomics die hard. Oldscool!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure