🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Free gas supply

Options
I moved into my new house just over 2 years ago. The developer completed all the forms for the transferal of the utilities to me.

Electricity transferred across OK (Southern Electic). Water transferred across OK (South East water). Gas was not OK (British Gas). I still have a copy of the fax the developer sent to British Gas.

After living there for 6 months I was a bit suspicious that I hadn't received a gas bill so I phoned British Gas. They had no knowledge of my address. I phoned National Grid who also had no knowledge of my address. According to EnergyWatch I wasn't registered for gas either.

Another 6 months later I phoned National Grid who told me that I now had a meter number but according to their records I did not have a supplier. Not quite true as the central heating was running on gas as was the cooker hob. So, I phoned British Gas again and explained to them that I was using gas but they weren't billing me. They searched through all the addresses on my road and adjoining road just in case my property was registered as a Plot number and not a real address. I asked them to do this as I had received a letter from British Gas addressed to a Plot number on my road but it wasn't the one that my house was referred to before being allocated a proper address. They of course found nothing but offered to sign me up as a new customer. I declined their offer.

So, I'm being supplied gas and I'm not paying for it. What should I do? It's over 2 years now. Should I keep my mouth shut? What's my legal position here?

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Hi Ernie, keep copies of this post, and your other records.
    You have done enough to satisfy Solomon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 1 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport