When did the phone bill become irrelevant? blog discussion

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News
15 replies 2.7K views
This is the discussion to link on the back of Martin's blog. Please read the blog first, as this discussion follows it.

Click reply to discuss below.

Replies

• I'd have to beg to differ Martin, and it's not often I disagree with you! As a money advisor, I regularly come across people with phone bills of £220 a month. Exactly how they manage to rack up such huge bills I'm not certain but it definitely does happen.
  • JimmyTheWigJimmyTheWig Forumite
    12.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When did the phone bill become irrelevant?
    Was it summer 1995? ((Co-?)Incidentally a similar time as "phONEday")
    I started university in September 1994. In our first year we all used to write letters home, with the odd phone call. In our second and subsequent years we just used to phone.
  • zebedyzebedy Forumite
    425 Posts
    I never use my landline for calls. i get so many free minutes on my mobile I always use that (and never use them up). I only have the landline to get the broadband
    MS Stalwart. Used site for >10 years :j

Make Do, Mend and Minimise member - focussing on upcycling/repurposing and sewing
    12.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zebedy wrote: »
    I only have the landline to get the broadband
    AND for people to call you!
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    opalfruits wrote: »
    I'd have to beg to differ Martin, and it's not often I disagree with you! As a money advisor, I regularly come across people with phone bills of £220 a month. Exactly how they manage to rack up such huge bills I'm not certain but it definitely does happen.

That's absolutely gobsmacking!!!!!!!! How do they manage that - unless they're calling someone in a foreign coutnry constantly there's just no need. Send them here when they do it! (though i suspect you do - and good on you for being a money adviser and helping 'em)

Martin
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    12.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MSE_Martin wrote: »
    How do they manage that
    Not that difficult with BT...
    An hour each work day to a mobile and an hour each work day to a land line.

4p/m x 60minutes (landline) + 12.5p/m x 60minutes = £9.90
    Average work days per month = 22

22 x £9.90 = £217.80
  • Victor_DeltaVictor_Delta Forumite
    434 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    As JimmyTheWig says, the main element of people's land line calls bill is now the cost of calls to mobiles, plus perhaps calls to 0870 etc numbers. Everything else has become insignificant.
  • MSE_MartinMSE_Martin MoneySaving Expert
    8.3K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    True.. though if you cut the cost of calling mobiles its much cheaper
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
    Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
    Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • I dont even have a landline anymore - I have a virgin sim only deal which gives me 300 minutes for a tenner, which is less than I used to pay in line rental alone, and is enough for me. Several years ago our line rental was £14.99 a month.
    12.2K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dont even have a landline anymore.
    How do people phone you?
    I can see how this makes it cheaper for you, but doesn't it make it more expensive for your friends and family?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides