Swiftcover and Road Tax

Options
Hello, Its that time of year again and I've got to get insurance, the cheapest quote i've had is £280 from swiftcover (will have to add legal assistance ontop of that). The next cheapest is £450 inc legal cover.

I've heard that people have problems getting road tax with swift cover, and that they are expensive to make amendments to the policy?
(for instance if I want to add my brother to the policy in the future)

Any advice gratefully accepted!

Comments

• sjane2008
    sjane2008 Posts: 101 Forumite
    Options
    My only advice would be that are you happy to deal with them by email if so what is there turnaround time?? Can you call them by phone if need be?? and is legal cover included?? I know in the past they quote with a voluntry xs so be carefull to ask them what the compulsary xs is and add the two together to get the total.

Read as much as you can about them, the blagger.com website is good for feedback also http://www.defaqto.com/consumer/insurance/motor/compare-car.aspx can compare what you have to another policy.
  • *MF*
    *MF* Posts: 3,113 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    @OP ...

I have heard others on here also say they had difficulties with Swiftcover and obtaining road tax - all I can tell you is I pay my road tax half yearly - and whilst with Swiftcover (I no longer am) never had a problem over 3 years - I don't have a special printer in any way - so make of it what you will, ok.

As for changes and charges - again not my experience but it very much depends I guess on the change, adding a Maserati and an 18 yr old driver is gonna cause problems whoever the Insurer I guess - but there is a very simple solution - why not put thru' the changes on their system (in advance, and without completion) and see whether what you know will change causes a problem or not, if it does, don't go with them. Better that simple test drive - rather than leaving it until you do want the change, and then find out when you put it thru' their system - for real - it really is a problem.

Hope this helps a bit ...
    If many little people, in many little places, do many little things,
    they can change the face of the world.

- African proverb -
  • pandora205
    pandora205 Posts: 2,934 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I was with Swiftcover for a year but wasn't very happy with them.

It was fine getting Road Tax. It was making a claim that was difficult, as they are not easy to speak to by phone. They were just very very slow processing the claim though it was sorted eventually.

When it came to renewal I looked elsewhere.
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
  • Oscar_The_Grouch
    Options
    I think we come back to the same old problem here: you get what you pay for.
    In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move.
    The late, great, Douglas Adams.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport