Re: ADVICE FOR YOUNG DRIVERS ON CAR INSURANCE

Options
Hi all. I thought i would give something back as I'm always asking and not giving!!. Here is some advice for young people or all looking for car insurance.

1) It is generally cheaper to take out insurance on a provisional liscence as the insurer knows you are limited in your driving, HOWEVER ensure the company do not charge you an additional sum should you pass mid term in the policy
2) The pass plus does help lower your premium, mainly for comprehensive cover and only within the first year of passing, but do take on board the cost of it
3) When getting internet quotes DO ensure you CALL them as comparison websites rates are not always guarenteed
4) Always note that a voluntry excess is not the total you pay in the event of a claim, it is the additonal amount to reduce your premium you must add it to the insurers compulsary excess...internet quotes do automatically include one so be carefull.
5) Make sure it is an annual policy and if it is 10 mths will the bonus be acceptable elsewhere???
6) When placing your number on the internet, dont think people will not call you...they will!!!
7) Try brokers and high street insurers face to face for advice
8) Steer clear of modifications, and the older the car the cheaper as you benifit from an age of car discount
9) Remember with comprehensive cover...what do you get, do you get legal cover and windscreen and is the courtesy car guarenteed??
10) Also how much does it cost if you lose your certificate or paperwork, how can you contact the insurer in the future, are they uk based or internet/email only (nuisence when a future claim if email)
11) Putting yourself on your parents policy is not the best option, if you are the main driver you need your own policy otherwise you will never build up any bonus and normally your parents bonus is being used on their own car anyway, remember no claim bonuses are per car not per person!!!

Best of luck

xx

Comments

• Carmex_Fan
    Carmex_Fan Posts: 79 Forumite
    Options
    Yes some online comparison sites the proces are different. When you call them they add on legal cover and it hitches up the price.
  • Oscar_The_Grouch
    Options
    Good post. Thanks.

One other thing to think about is what you are going to do whilst at Uni - do you really need a decent car for the odd trips home?

I would always recommend buying a complete banger that has the smallest engine you can find and insuring it for Third Party Only. The car will sit on your parent's drive (or at the side of the road) most of the time and all you need to do is phone your dad and ask him to charge the battery when you are coming home.

Why do this? I hear you ask....

1. Whilst the car is sitting there not being used, you are building up your NCD - 3 years at Uni = 50% NCD when you get back.
    2. What's the point in spending out loads of money on something that is going to be sitting and rotting (as well as depreciating) whilst you are away?
    3. At least you know you will have something to get you about during the holidays, especially if you have a temp job to go to.
    In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move.
    The late, great, Douglas Adams.
  • sjane2008
    sjane2008 Posts: 101 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks people, unsure if MSE people can put a section on young drivers and add this as it is just the basics but handy for people that havent a clue on insurance..ie me 2 years ago!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure