HELP Builder ran off with money

Options
Hi. I am in a real mess. We are having our roof converted and the builder has run off with my money. He said that he was going to get materials but has taken my money and run! I have a contract so will take through court if necessary but anyone know any decent builders who could finish my work off- i have small kids and its a nightmare. I am in East London. Most of it is done its just the roof needs finishing- i think the tiles and flashings need to be done. Please help. I am miserable.

thanks babymum

Comments

• marleyboy
    marleyboy Posts: 16,698 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thats terrible.. If I was down South I would finish it off for you for nothing. Come on guys, I appeal to any roofer with a heart, who lives local to the OP, to pop round and put a smile back on her face.

Name and shame him on the Warnings and Rip Off's thread, his name will be up in lights for anyone who is thinking of hiring this scumbag xx good luck
    :A:dance:1+1+1=1:dance::A
    "Marleyboy you are a legend!"
    MarleyBoy "You are the Greatest"
    Marleyboy You Are A Legend!
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
    Marleyboy - You are, indeed, a legend.
  • andrew-b
    andrew-b Posts: 2,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    How long have you been trying to contact them for? Sometimes there are genuine reasons for this sort of thing -like involved in an accident, loss of family member etc, or even gone on holiday. Are they a member of any trade organisations like Federation of Master Builders etc?
    Keep trying to get in contact with them whether by phone or drive round to their address (assuming they gave one).
    You could contact trading standards and any trade organisations to which they claim to be a member of.

Andy
  • babymum
    babymum Posts: 56 Forumite
    Options
    marleyboy wrote: »
    Thats terrible.. If I was down South I would finish it off for you for nothing. Come on guys, I appeal to any roofer with a heart, who lives local to the OP, to pop round and put a smile back on her face.

Name and shame him on the Warnings and Rip Off's thread, his name will be up in lights for anyone who is thinking of hiring this scumbag xx good luck

thanks so much marleyboy- you are a star. you are very generous. . . . .
    i have been trying to get in touch- they have left the scaffolding up and a skip outside and disappeared. not sure if i will ever be able to get in touch with them. its difficult to be patient with the kids running round like headless chickens :-(

and thank you andrew-b i will try and follow up- they gave me a FMB contract but are no longer a member.

babymum
  • olly300
    olly300 Posts: 14,736 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    babymum give some details of the builder so other posters can help you i.e. even the name would help.
    I'm not cynical I'm realistic :p

(If a link I give opens pop ups I won't know I don't use windows)
  • marleyboy
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Id imagine hes gonna want his scaffolding and skip back (assuming they belong to him), how much did he steal from you? and as above name the company and himself. That way anyone doing a quick google of his dodgy company, will firstly stumble upon this thread.
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
  • andrew-b
    andrew-b Posts: 2,413 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Tempting as it might be, probably not a good idea saying exactly who they are until after any dispute is resolved as could make matters worse and we don't even know if there is a genuine reason yet.

Similar sort of thing happened to my sister when they were having their loft converted in that the builders just stopped turning up. Took a long time to resolve with a reduction in final price but they were a member of FMB (probably not anymore - could even be the same "builders" though i don't know their name). After threatening to sell their scaffolding it resulted in fairly prompt removal but it still went on for some time after that. Kind of puts one off loft conversions these sort of stories.

You never said how long it has been since they downed tools.. if it's been weeks i'd deal with it differently to if its been days.

Also speak to your insurance company as they may be able to help if you have taken out family legal protection - or if you have home emergency cover they may get someone out to shore up your roof if rain is coming through. My priority would be to ensure the roof is weathertight even if just means securing some tarpulins down.

Andy
  • marleyboy
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I guess it depends on how long ago it was before he took the money, the fact the OP cannot get a reply from either him or his company, would lead one to think something doesnt smell right about it. A simple phone call saying "sorry i didnt make yesterday, because blah blah blah, would certainly be logical and just, especially knowing a customer is waiting, while he holds the cash in his pocket.
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
  • TBeckett100
    TBeckett100 Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Cashback Cashier
    Options
    i would sieze the scaffolding as a lien
  • baldelectrician
    Options
    Don't seize the scaffolding - this would be naughty.
    You could take it down for health and saftey reasons (assuming you know someone who is trained and competent) and store it safely away (just in case it got stolen)
    Make sure you don't impair the saftey of the house and take advice before proceeding.
    baldly going on...
  • marleyboy
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'd use it to beat the hell out of him wih, each and every pole one at a time :D
    Marleyboy speaks sense
    marleyboy (total legend)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate