New here, very unwell & confused

Options
Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on claims on critical illness under my life insurance policy.

I have read and re read the schedule etc so many times and have even rung them for help but i'm none the wiser. I have been referred to a neurologist to confirm a diagnosis for Atypical Facial Pain Disorder (Neuralgia). I have been told it is incurable but can be managed with drugs. However, the condition is so chronically painful that it is incapacitating and the drug therapy will also make me incapable of work or living unaided.

In the policy schedule it states that I would be covered if diagnosed with a permanent neurological deficit with persisting clinical symptoms (which I will have), but when speaking to them on the phone I was told that a diagnosis simply would not suffice and I would also need to prove that I could not undertake 4 out of 6 working tasks if working at the time of diagnosis. However, I am currently off sick with depression (which I already pay a ridiculously high premium for!!!) so does that mean I would only have to prove that I could not prove 3 out of the 6 living tasks?????

So ill, and very confused, i'm sorry if I am posting in the wrong place, but I hope someone will be able to give me some advice.

Ginger

Comments

• Kimitatsu
    Kimitatsu Posts: 3,894 Forumite
    Options
    From what you have said you have to prove that you cannot manage 4 or more of the six working tasks. I assume that they will ask for independant verification of this by a seperate medical examination.

It is not neccessarily the case that your depression will count towards one of these. Perhaps you should be clarifying what the six working tasks are?
    Free/impartial debt advice: Consumer Credit Counselling Service (CCCS) | National Debtline | Find your local CAB
  • GingerBones_2
    Options
    Sorry I seem unclear but I am quite confused, and the policy is not helpfully written.
    Thanks for answering me though.
    I understand that I would need an independent verification of all these things and that
    would not be a problem. And I don't think my depression will count towards.
    The thing is, as I am currently signed off as not fit for work due to my depression would I
    have to prove the working tasks, or the living tasks? Or both even!
    Working tasks are;
    walking - walking 200m without stopping of being in discomfort
    lifting - lifting 1kg and carrying it for 5m
    using a pen or keyboard
    hearing - ability to hear without aids in a quiet room
    speech - the ability to be understood in a quiet room
    Vision - the ability to read 16 point print with or without aids or glasses
    Living tasks;
    Washing - being able to bathe to an adequate level of hygiene (impossible at present due to
    hyperaesthesia) (a symptom which is covered under diagnosis of a permanent neurological
    deficit)
    dressing - also impossible for the same reason
    Transferring - ok, when concious
    mobility - not safely as blood pressure so low and in sever pain which makes my
    coordination off (another symptom which says it's already covered)
    Continence - not a prob at present
    Feeding - very difficult due to the pain and TMJ so I cannot chew or eat most of the time.
    Surely I should already by covered under being diagnosed with a neurological deficit with
    permanent clinical symptoms (most of which I present)....

Sorry, but so confused, and scared,
  • movingon
    movingon Posts: 533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Its likely that the working tasks only apply if you are working at the time of diagnosis and living tasks if you are not. Best thing to do is apply anyway and describe fully your symtpoms and their effect. Just let them make the evaluation. the other thing to consider is not the "permanent neurological deficit" criteria, but to see if there is a "permanent and total disability" criteria, ie unable to return to work at all, ever, due to the effects of any given illness.
    Fingers crossed
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,831 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    sorry to hear you are in such pain ginger bones. i have no advice but just letting you know that there are other people out here who are reading your post and just want to give a bit of support. Try and keep busy, get reading posts on the other threads, its amazingly addictive. lots of hugs to you
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • GingerBones_2
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply to me, any help, advice, information that anyone could give is greatly appreciated,

And thanks Annie for your kind words,

Ginger x
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family