Looking at switching

Options
stuarta99
stuarta99 Posts: 148 Forumite
First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Ok, I've been in my flat for 12months (1st time buyer) and my current EDF Price Save runs out in September. I've been looking around various sites and appear to be getting different prices.

EnergyHelpine show the EON EnergySaver 4 and Price Protection Oct 2009 as the best at £603, but if use Moneysupermarket, these same products are £578 with Scottish Power being the best at £545.

Going direct to EON is even better at £440 with another product called Energy Guarantee 5 at £425.

I've worked out my current spend by adding up my quarterly bills for the last 12months as only £350 for electricity and £120 for gas. Scottish Power tells me this is very low and should check.

Can someone advise please.

Comments

• bristolleedsfan
    bristolleedsfan Posts: 12,111 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    stuarta99 wrote: »
    Ok, I've been in my flat for 12months (1st time buyer) and my current EDF Price Save runs out in September. I've been looking around various sites and appear to be getting different prices.

EnergyHelpine show the EON EnergySaver 4 and Price Protection Oct 2009 as the best at £603, but if use Moneysupermarket, these same products are £578 with Scottish Power being the best at £545.

Going direct to EON is even better at £440 with another product called Energy Guarantee 5 at £425.

I've worked out my current spend by adding up my quarterly bills for the last 12months as only £350 for electricity and £120 for gas. Scottish Power tells me this is very low and should check.

If u know which company u are going to switch to, switch via a cashback site, i.e www.quidco.com who are currently paying 55.00 cashback for a dual fuel switch to E.O.N

Make sure cookies are enabled on your PC and that their is no ad blocking, clear cookies before u visit the cashback site.
  • notbritishgas
    notbritishgas Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options

You really want to put in your usage in kwh into comparison sites not spend in £. Thisway you should get accurate results and they should in theory be very similar.
    I agree that your gas spend is very low, you cannot have gas heating? But then again your electric is about the normal without electric heating.
  • stuarta99
    Options
    Nope, we just use Gas for cooking and hot water with no heating in the flat at all.

When going through my bills, it told me the units I've used on gas and electricity but only kwh on my gas
  • notbritishgas
    Options
    Nope, we just use Gas for cooking and hot water with no heating in the flat at all.

When going through my bills, it told me the units I've used on gas and electricity but only kwh on my gas
    The units on your electric are in fact kwh. The gas is converted from units (cubic metres or cubic feet) into kwh by a formula.
    No heating!! do you heat water by gas? or electric.
    Sorry just reread your post, you say you heat it by gas.
  • stuarta99
    Options
    so if I've used 880units of electric, that is 880kwh? Just that my gas is 121units or 1337kwh
  • notbritishgas
    Options
    so if I've used 880units of electric, that is 880kwh? Just that my gas is 121units or 1337kwh
    Yes you have used 880kwh of electric, and I can tell that you have a metric gas meter and you have used 121 cubic metres of gas and when they convert that to kwh using a set formula it comes to 1337kwh.
  • stuarta99
    Options
    ok thanks, I'll work on that basis and see the comparison. Just seemed off that my electric usage is less than my gas but the bill is higher. But obviously I can see that by looking at the unit price.

Just compared with usage and the price for EON dropped £557 and was now the same on Energy Helpline and MoneySupermarket with ScottishPower being £520.

Eon site is still showing as £425 and £440 though. Looks like EON have the advantage over ScottishPower by having Tesco points for every pound spent.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure