Claim

Options
I've got a 46 inch HD tv that has just stopped working after about 5 years. I can probably get it repaired for about £300 but was wondering if it was better to make a claim.

Is it possible to make a claim on a non working TV and if so what should I say and how much money could I expect to get ? I paid £1100 for the tv originally but could probably get a new one for £700

Comments

• mattymoo
    mattymoo Posts: 2,417 Forumite
    Options
    Mechanical breakdown is not covered by household insurance. Might be covered under an extended guarantee purchased at same time as TV but I'm guessing you don't have this.

If you are suggesting dropping the TV or somesuch and then making a claim, that is pure and simple fraud and you won't get any sympathy here.
  • Oscar_The_Grouch
    Options
    Absolutely agree.

If you tell your insurers that you dropped the TV, they will have it inspected. From experience, the companies that inspect TV's will be able to tell the difference between damage caused by dropping and an electrical or mechanical fault.

If you are lucky, your insurers will just decline the claim. If not, they will invoke the Fraud Condition, cancel your policy without giving you a refund in premium and leave you to fend for yourself. At that point, no other mainstream household insurer will cover you and you will have to spend an awful lot more than the £300 repair cost in additional premiums EACH YEAR just to get the minimum cover your mortgage requires.

I'm sure you merely thought that breakdown would be covered, hence your post. On that basis, I'll get off my soapbox now!!
    In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move.
    The late, great, Douglas Adams.
  • packmanuk_2
    packmanuk_2 Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    I did mean cover for mechanical breakdown. I did however think i'd be covered for any damage done to the TV (accidental) So if one of my young children knocked the tv over or tipped water over it I wouldn't be covered ?
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It would. However, to portray the event as the one that caused it to break is, as others have said out and out fraud.

I deal with these 'claims' all the time and it is very very easy to catch people that do it out. Electrical inspections can tell when the TV was last switched on for example, as well as anything else wrong with it. Theres also software on the phones that can normally spot liars a mile off.

For £300, it really isnt worth it. The only thing you'd get out of it is a new TV, whereas you risk imprisonment if you get it wrong.
  • packmanuk_2
    packmanuk_2 Posts: 223 Forumite
    Options
    I've had it repaired now and it only cost £200 so not too bad. i just wanted to check that if in the future someone kicked a ball through the tv i'd be covered.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure