Anyone bought a car from mainland UK?

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
11 replies 1.1K views
PollyPolly Forumite
898 Posts
Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
✭✭✭
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in N. Ireland
It would seem that great savings can be made on the list price of a new car by buying it from mainland UK and arranging for it to be transported over here. Can I get some tips from anyone who has done this already? I am intending to buy a new Volkswagen and the savings are around £2500 on what I would pay here. A local company would bring it to Northern Ireland for me for around £250. Have found the car I want through an online broker but a bit nervous about taking the next step. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Replies

• Hi Polly -

I have bought my last two family cars plus three others for family/friends on the mainland - no problems at all and recommend it. On my own two cars I saved over £8000 so that says a lot about how much we overpay in N.I.

I would suggest that you pick the car up yourself rather than pay a company £250 to do it. That way you get to look the car over yourself - know exactly what you are buying and save a few pounds - flights to UK can be found cheaply at https://www.skyscanner.net and ferry sailings back home at https://www.ferrysavers.com.

The last car I bought, in August this year, cost me £30 to fly over to Leeds, £30 diesel and £70 on the HSS from Stranraer to Belfast. BTW - insist you are met at the airport. If they want the sale they'll do it.

If I can help further please ask.

Scan.
    sufferinsnickerinrickrastadley
  • https://www.trade-sales.co.uk
    https://www.motorpoint.co.uk

Cars are in stock - no waiting - no risk.

I have bought my last 2 cars, my wife's car and my folks car from there.

Really good prices - and no risk of broker going belly up.
    Hand over bankers draft - and drive away car.

Full manufacturer warranty too.

Good luck
  • SimpsonSimpson Forumite
    148 Posts
    100 Posts
    I used Trade-sales as well very good experience.
    They even take out an insurance polcy for the first year so that if the car gets badly damaged you can get it replaced with a new one rather than get it repaired.

used my airmiles to fly to heathrow (i knew i'd find a use for them eventually)
    I had to stay overnight, found a great b&b they picked me up from the airport and drove me to the dealer (foc).

It's a bit of a marathon drive to troon though, probably better to sail into dublin, then you can fill up before you cross the border as well.
    Plenty of mistakes, but no regrets. :)
  • itfgmitfgm Forumite
    60 Posts
    I think it is still worth shopping around in the different showrooms in N. Ireland. I bought a Toyota Corolla 2 years ago and I went to every Toyota dealer in N. Ireland. I priced importing it from europe and down south and I also checked prices in mainland UK. The cheapest I could get it was in Enniskillen. I have heard that mainland UK is best for some cars.

N. Ireland showrooms often offer free insurance or 0% finance which can take the overall price down a lot.
  • thetopethetope Forumite
    896 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    myself and my boyfriend have got our last 4 motorbikes from england...the savings there are pretty massive as there are only a limited number of big bike shops here and they have a captive audience. the first two bikes my boyfriend got shipped over - costly but still better value than buying here, then we found out about tesco clubcard vouchers being 4x their value on the ferries! so the last two he flew over midweek on a cheapie and brought back on the ferry for free with clubcard vouchers. if you go over yourself you can haggle with the salesman, make sure there's a full tank of fuel, mats, full year's tax, etc whereas if you get a company to freight it over you don't have as much bargaining power. it's worth it! plus you can make it a nice wee trip away too coupled with travelodge tennertastic if you really want to!
  • Bizarrely, I bought my last car in the Republic and drove it back to Scotland - saving me a tidy wedge as the on-the-road price in the Republic was about the same as in the Mainland UK, but the price in ROI hid 21% VAT and 23% new registration fee (so nearly 4% to be saved by buying in the Republic and exporting to the UK, and £25 new reg fee instead of ~25%)

Even taking into account the €200 transit insurance and the £120 ferry (which of course you wouldn't have), it was well worth doing - long way from Co. Cork to LArne though :D
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

In many cases it helps if you say where you are - someone with local knowledge might be able to give local specifics rather than general advice
  • thetopethetope Forumite
    896 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 500 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭
    hunnymonster, was this recently? because ever since the euro everyone i know down south has been buying their cars from the north! cars in the republic have become very expensive
  • It was certainly post euro (about June or July 02) - and makes sense only if it's not registered in ROI - so your first registration is done in the UK.... like I said the OTR price was about the same in ROI (after ROI taxes) but by exporting from ROI to UK, I paid ROI pre-tax price, UK VAT & UK car taxes - all in all saved about £2k on a £15k car. If I'd had my head screwed on properly I'd have registered it in Belfast on the way through and got a non-dating plate for 'free' - ah well the benefit of hindsight.

For those doing it the other way, it probably makes sense to buy it 'off the shelf' in NI and import it 'used' in 6-12 months.
    There are 10 types of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't

In many cases it helps if you say where you are - someone with local knowledge might be able to give local specifics rather than general advice
  • wotnoshoesehwotnoshoeseh Forumite
    224 Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    On the first post about the broker you can, I think, nominate a garage of your convenience within the UK so probably somewhere close to Stranraer would be good as you could go over on the ferry as a foot passenger and go pick up the motor and take it back on the ferry same day.

HTH
    wotno...
    Cheers,
    wotnoshoeseh
  • tomsticklandtomstickland Forumite
    19.5K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could save even more by buying an 18 month old model.
    Happy chappy
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

Tesco Clubcard rule tweaks

Be careful when converting points to Cineworld

MSE News

£148 of Ciaté nail polish for £35

Via its Advent calendar (norm £59 delivered)

MSE Deals