British Gas

Options
On checking capped price until Dec 2009 I find that the electricity is about 50 % higher than my current clickenergy4 tarrif and the gas is about 30 % higher .These figures seem to conflict with figures badied about and make it mush less attractive to cap.Are my findings wron or are BG just taking the proverbial P***?

Comments

• fossman
    fossman Posts: 353 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    BG electricity prices are high but their Band B gas prices are low and their Band A prices although a little high are only for the first 670 kwh's per quarter.
    Cashback earned
    Quidco : £858 :)
    Pigsback : £20 and a Beatles CD.
  • logie28
    logie28 Posts: 323 Forumite
    Options
    hi Ian,
    I'm a bit like you with the capping game,, I'm on click energy 5,,released Feb this year,,

I was on click 4 like you,, 5 is a bit cheaper. log on to your BG online account and upgrade to 5,, no tie in or penalties.

When price increases are announced,, I've notice BG usually lets online customers off a bit, i feel capping for 12 months ( 18 and 24 months seem to have gone) isn't worth the hassle of changing,, you will give yourself an automatic 20 - 30% increase .. i think only people on the standard tariffs who are getting shafted big time will feel the real benefits..

With falling gas prices ( at this present time) i dont feel need to jump on the band-waggon and gamble,, also i begrudge paying "premium" to commit myself to a company for 12 months,, i think i should receive a discount for loyalty and commitment,, not pay them more for the privilege
  • *MF*
    *MF* Posts: 3,113 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Tend to agree that whilst capping removes the fear of how bad price rises may get - it's quite a hefty price to pay over and above - and if it gets that bad, then I'll switch off and head down to the Oxfam shop for more to wear to keep warm.

I am on ClickEnergy4 - saw the "5" version and this week, with capping etc in mind, I queried if I should change to "5". Got an e-mail reply as:

Click Energy 4

Electric (pence per kWh)
    Unit Price (Excluding VAT)

Tier 1 ... 18.320
    Tier 2 ... 8.014

Gas (pence per kWh)

Tier 1 ... 5.942
    Tier 2 ... 2.492

Click Energy 5

Electric (pence per kWh)
    Unit Price (Excluding VAT)

Tier 1 ... 17.928
    Tier 2 ... 8.381

Gas (pence per kWh)

Tier 1 ... 5.684
    Tier 2 ... 2.385

Am I reading that correctly (dyslexic with figures, lol) - it seems to me that Gas is definitely cheaper if I change, but depending on actual usage Electricity could cost more :confused:
    If many little people, in many little places, do many little things,
    they can change the face of the world.

- African proverb -
  • ianj12
    ianj12 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    ianj12 wrote: »
    On checking capped price until Dec 2009 I find that the electricity is about 50 % higher than my current clickenergy4 tarrif and the gas is about 30 % higher .These figures seem to conflict with figures badied about and make it mush less attractive to cap.Are my findings wron or are BG just taking the proverbial P***?

Thanks to all of you.Your replies seem to confirm my findings.Basically it is just another example of rip of Britain.Your shafted if you do and shafted if you dont.What really gets me is that the Govt. allows big business to get away with making things so complicated that there is no way of knowing whether or not you are getting the best deal or not .This applies to so many things that the average person has to have in his day to day living that the Govt. should be had up for criminal negligence.

You would think that when things like this are brought to the attention of the people in a position to change things by people like The monesavings expert something would be done .But it just isnt.That is why the fat cats must be laughing up their sleeves constantly

Ian Johnston:mad::mad::mad::mad:
  • logie28
    Options
    sorry i didn't put this in my first post..

when i changed tariff from click energy i went through topcashback.co.uk,, i got paid £40 .. just for changing tariffs, a bit naughty maybe, but i got the cash back, it takes about 3 months for the cash to clear , you can see the progress on your account,

i find i save a few quid by managing my accounts online,, when i was with npower i spent an hour each time on hold,, clocking up the pennies for them ,
    i also really, really can not see predicted 40-60% rises this year, our old and poor will freeze and die, as a "rich"(haha) country we will be the laughing stock of the (third) world if these greedy energy company's are responsible for this potential capitalism disaster,,
  • ianj12
    ianj12 Posts: 3 Newbie
    Options
    logie28 wrote: »
    sorry i didn't put this in my first post..Thanks I do all you suggest .I just couldnt believe capped prices were so much higher than other tariffs.I am getting to the point of thinking it is too much of a hassel to switch and/or cap in which case they win but I now give up .Big business wins again!!!

when i changed tariff from click energy i went through topcashback.co.uk,, i got paid £40 .. just for changing tariffs, a bit naughty maybe, but i got the cash back, it takes about 3 months for the cash to clear , you can see the progress on your account,

i find i save a few quid by managing my accounts online,, when i was with npower i spent an hour each time on hold,, clocking up the pennies for them ,
    i also really, really can not see predicted 40-60% rises this year, our old and poor will freeze and die, as a "rich"(haha) country we will be the laughing stock of the (third) world if these greedy energy company's are responsible for this potential capitalism disaster,,

.Thanks I do all you suggest .I just couldnt believe capped prices were so much higher than other tariffs.I am getting to the point of thinking it is too much of a hassel to switch and/or cap in which case they win but I now give up .Big business wins again!!
  • logie28
    Options
    changing tariff is far less hassle than changing company,, i had no probs at all and ive changed tariff about 3 times,

as for the big companies winning again,, when the monopoly ended for gas and electric , the "competition" was suppose to lower prices and create real competition, unfortunately, it didn't take off,, easier to work together than against each other,,

After all we dont have to much choice at the minute,, we nearly all need gas and electric,, its not a luxury its a necessity..
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure