Caffe Nero 'Health and Safety'

Options
Ok not a major rant, just a minor annoyance.

I popped into Caffe Nero the other day to get a coffee, I asked for a regular cappuccino to take out, then said not to bother putting one of those plastic lids on as I'll only throw it away. As the guy serving me nodded his colleague piped up that they had to put one one for Health and Safety, in case it got spilled!

Now I am not a child and I don't particularly enjoy paying £2 for a coffee to then drink out of a Tommy Tippy cup.

Maybe I should have countered the Health and safety remark with 'Carbon Footprint' and 'Unnecessary waste'.

Comments

• andyrules
    andyrules Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    Options
    I suppose they have to adhere to regs, although I sometimes have to ask for my Tommy Tippee lid. ;)

As for Caffe Nero's Health and Safety - they should have a first aider on standby to resuscitate customers when they are given the bill;)
  • sarahg1969
    sarahg1969 Posts: 6,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    OP - take the lid off yourself before you drink it? Just a suggestion.
  • Optimist
    Optimist Posts: 4,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Given that people have sued over their coffee been too hot and getting scalded I think Caffe Nero are just covering themselves.
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
  • pinkshoes
    pinkshoes Posts: 20,127 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You may not need a Tommy Tippy cup, but if someone bashed into you as you were turning away from the counter to leave, and got hot coffee on themselves, then they would no doubt (in todays "I'm gonna sue you" culture - thanks America!) try and sue Cafe Nero, and Cafe Nero would then have to try and prove that you'd specifically asked for it without a lid.

Basically they're just covering their own back sides!
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
  • davetrousers
    davetrousers Posts: 5,862 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    sarahg1969 wrote: »
    OP - take the lid off yourself before you drink it? Just a suggestion.

Yes that is what I did, but I was trying to reduce the amount of waste created. You could of course argue that if I was that bothered I should have had it in a proper cup and drunk it in store.

It is the compensation culture that has spread across the Atlantic, that leads to silly things like this.

• C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    davetrousers

they've got they're regulations to follow, could email cafe nero HO but not sure where that would get you
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • theskinnycow
    Options
    I used to work in subway which had the same rule as this and the abusive I used to get from customers about it made me want to throw the coffee over them :rolleyes: but at the end of the day if they accidently split the coffee over you 9 times out of 10 you would try to sue them/claim compenation/take them to court. So at the end of the day it isnt that persons fault. It's the whole blame culture we got going on unfortunatly.
  • Reggie_Rebel
    Reggie_Rebel Posts: 5,036 Forumite
    Options
    Yes that is what I did, but I was trying to reduce the amount of waste created. You could of course argue that if I was that bothered I should have had it in a proper cup and drunk it in store.

It is the compensation culture that has spread across the Atlantic, that leads to silly things like this.

To be fair if you were that bothered you'd have had one before you left home and/or when you got back
    It's taken me years of experience to get this cynical
  • uktim29
    uktim29 Posts: 2,722 Forumite
    Options
    To be fair if you were that bothered you'd have had one before you left home and/or when you got back

Just what I was going to say!

The waste 'argument' is just arguing for the hell of it, or a reaction to not like being told something.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure