Noticed some changes? You can read all about the improvements we've made on the Forum in our latest announcement. We also have a new set of Forum rules so please take the time to give them a read and familiarise yourself.

Cheap Motorway Petrol

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
6 replies 9K views
mbanbrookmbanbrook Forumite
61 Posts
edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Motoring
I was recently running low on petrol whilst travelling up the M40.

The services at J8A (BP?) were charging a scandalous 85p per litre.

Drive a little further up the road (less than a mile) past the Oxford services and you will come to a 24-hour Asda supermarket filling station.  The price there? A mere 77p per litre!

Shall we start a list of ways to get back at the service stations and their outrageous pricing policies?
Next post follows in a moment ...

Replies

• Woby_TideWoby_Tide Forumite
    5.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    a list like this http://www.5minutesaway.co.uk/ ? ;)
  • nearlyrichnearlyrich Forumite
    13.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Hung up my suit! Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info re M40 I travel often on that road.
    I have used the services at Oxford for petrol with gritted teeth.

There is a Tesco with 24hour petrol about 1 mile from Banbury exit. Head for Banbury.

What does everyone else know??
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The AA can help you identify the cheapest petrol in the area that you specify. Here's the link

http://www.aapetrolbusters.com/

;)
  • mbanbrook wrote:
    I was recently running low on petrol whilst travelling up the M40.

The services at J8A (BP?) were charging a scandalous 85p per litre.

Drive a little further up the road (less than a mile) past the Oxford services and you will come to a 24-hour Asda supermarket filling station. *The price there? A mere 77p per litre!

Shall we start a list of ways to get back at the service stations and their outrageous pricing policies?

This will really upset you. Next to junction 9 there is a Tesco with a filling station, heven't been there for a couple of weeks, but I will always pull off there instead of the services when I am in the area, and you can get a cheap sandwhich from the shop or main store. Also, moneysavers, it's next door to Bicester Outlet Villiage! So, that's cheap petrol, the weekly shop, tesco points on all, and designer bargains all in the same place! On the other hand, you may have wished that you had just paid 5-10p more for the petrol and not spent £200 at the outlet villiage/Tesco...........
    "Excuse me, this expires today, will you be reducing it?"
  • avoid shell on the M6 near birmingham.

rip off
  • bylromarhabylromarha Forumite
    10.1K Posts
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Have to admit to being quite sad on this one and travelling with my tesco storefinder guide permenently in my car. It shows you where every tesco is in the UK. Much cheaper to find them, fill up and get lunch and clubcard points too!

However, my husband mocks me mercilessly for it...calling me a tesco addict!
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
This discussion has been closed.
Latest News and Guides

New plastic £50 note in circulation

Inventor and codebreaker Alan Turing is pictured

MSE News

TV MoneySaving tricks

How to save on Sky, Netflix, Now TV, Prime Video and more

MSE Guides

Pret subscription loophole

Get a month's worth of free smoothies, frappes, coffee etc

MSE Deals