HELP first time drivers car insurance !!!!

Options
hi im a first time driver (17years old) and im looking at buying my first car, the car i really want is a vauxhall corsa 1.2 16v sxi 2003 which i can afford but evrytime i try and get car insurance quotes im getting quoted £4000+ which is more then the car is worth and way to much is there any cheap car insurerers please help! thaxs

Comments

• Idiophreak
    Idiophreak Posts: 12,024 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    have you used confused.com and the other comparison sites?

Quinn direct are normally fairly good for young drivers, so might be worth a look.

Have you thought of being a named driver on your parents/friend's car for a year...with Direct Line this could count as a year's no claims for you...

Have you entered details of different cars to see the relative costs? I'd have thought the corsa in question would be reasonably nippy, actually and as an sxi it won't be the cheapest to insure...

You can well expect to pay a grand or two in your first year, though - you might have to look at a cheaper car if you're really desperate to get driving...
  • The_Dangerman
    Options
    A Corsa SXi is probably more to insure than a normal 1.2, so try seeing if that makes a difference, it might not be the car your want, but if it saves you a packet then it's probably worth it.

I've found CIS cheap for young drivers, especially if you (or more likely your parents) have home insurance with them. It may even be worth them switching if they are as cheap.

Try adding an expierenced female driver with a clean record as a named driver. Perfect legal and sometimes brings the price down.

Have a look at Pass Plus or any other advanced course that you can do.

If none of this works then you will have to look at sub- 1 litre cars. Once you have 1 years NCB, then your premimums could drop by anything upto 40-50% and may then be able to get something a bit sportier.
  • xcharlies_mummyx
    Options
    Hiya, Im also 17 and looking was looking at corsa's and did come across an SXi that i would be interested in and got a quote for about £880...Maybe beciause i'm female. I would try going on AutoTrader and do there insurance comparison, go compare, money supermarket. I've comoared them all reallyand ended up getting a quote for a toyota corrolla 2003 1.6 for £1050! im pretty sure you can get cheaper than 4k! Good Luck
  • tuggy
    tuggy Posts: 220 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I bought my first car last year when I was 20, and it was pretty expensive so trouble with insurance too. I used confused.com and got my quote down to £1900 then after a year when i renewed I use confused.com and found Tesco Value car insurance :rotfl: but was only £500

huge difference after only a years no claims, (and turning 21 i guess helped)

i must say that these are for fully comprehensive cover, the car is worth £30,000 so wasnt risking 3rd party!!

so yeah, use confused.com its great
  • sjane2008
    sjane2008 Posts: 101 Forumite
    Options
    See my post posted recently titled Young Peoples car insurance.. xxx
  • hana5
    hana5 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Hi :D
    Don't b scared to haggle with insurers a bit like u can with fone deals - if one insurer offers a certain price most wil try n at least match it or beat it (I soon found that one company came down by several hundred quid on their 800 pound quote! But im afraid ur age n inexperience really do work against u - my first car insurance was over a thousand pounds getting on for 10yrs ago now, n it was only third party on a ten-yr old car that i bought for 500 quid! Its a pain i know but u'll stil av the car of ur dreams to look forward to if u compromise for the 1st yr or so (my old banger meant that I could only go up in the car world!). Once u get in ur car n on the rd u wont care half as much if it's not the exact car u want.
    Lastly, id check supermarkets like Asda n Tesco for quotes. I didnt realise they did insurance til someone recommended them to me, but i found them excellent for a few reasons:
    - They quote their lowest price without haggling (saves hassle foning round every yr)
    - They often have cheaper interest rates if ur paying over the yr (which on a policy that is costing 1,000 pound + works out as more than u'd think - it can often be an interest rate of 7% compared to 14%
    - I found the customer service good wen i had an accident (ooops! :rolleyes: )

Anyway on that note Safe Driving!! n Hope u enjoy the freedom of having ur own wheels!
  • hana5
    hana5 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    Just thought - how much is the car worth? If u cant get a quote that's much cheaper for all inclusive is it possible to get a quote for around a thousand pounds or so third party/fire/theft, n then put the money that u'd have spent on all includive insurance in a savings account. That way u've got a good incentive to drive carefully, but if anything happened u've got a back up fund n careful driving wud reward u n not the insurance company?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure