Charities board update
Please note, our Forum rules no longer allow the posting of links to personal fundraising or crowdfunding pages, such as JustGiving. You can read the full set of our Forum rules here.

Ideas for a 16 yr old fundraising

Options
Son wants to go on an expedition next year to South Africa, which is to be be partly funded by him raising funds.

The school is arranging a ' bag pack ' at the local supermarket but does anyone have any other ideas for fund raising activities?
2014 Target;
To overpay CC by £1,000.
Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
£15.88 saved to date

Comments

• Lokolo
    Lokolo Posts: 20,861 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Urgh bag packing sucks.

Forget the fundraising ideas, get a bloody job, trust me, SO much easier than trying to do things like car washing and bag packing.
  • kimmoss88
    kimmoss88 Posts: 190 Forumite
    Options
    When I was at college, the rugby team all got sponsored to have their legs waxed. People paid a lot to see them wimper!
  • mountainofdebt
    mountainofdebt Posts: 7,795 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks guys for responding.

I agree bag packing is a horrible chore (he does it to raise money with the cadet unit that he is a member of) and to be honest it would cost the supermarket less (and be more environmental friendly) if the supermarket just gave them a huge sum on money, the amount of bags they use!

He has already thought of a leg wax ....and with his hairy legs that has got to hurt !
    2014 Target;
    To overpay CC by £1,000.
    Overpayment to date : £310

2nd Purse Challenge:
    £15.88 saved to date
  • savingholmes
    savingholmes Posts: 27,384 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Try car washing - particularly if you can get your company involved, a shop or church to agree to take part or a staff car park at a school.

Other ideas real jobs eg fruit picking, working in a shop

Sponsorship for walks, runs, swims, skipping etc:j

Sponsored sleepovers, silence etc:rotfl:
    Achieve FIRE/Mortgage Neutrality by mid 2030
    1) MFW Nov 21 £201,999 with 237 payments to go - now £184,341 Equity 26.26%
    2) Spend on handyman & external building works & new patio door £12.3K
    3) CC £4.9K on 0% spends card but offset by £34.1K savings (part EF, part future home improvement)
    4) Mortgage neutral by June 2030 AVC £9.6K/£127.5K AVC target 7.5% value at 15/4
    5) FI Age 60 annual income target £13.7/30K 45.7%
  • Superheavy
    Superheavy Posts: 468 Forumite
    Options
    Not exactly a tip on the fundraising itself, but if you know anyone that works in a bank that'll be willing to do some of the fundraising with your son, many banks actually do a £ for £ scheme, where they'll match fund some of the funds raised, and some also chip in for the hours volunteering.

As for raising money, it'll be quicker just to get a job, but come up with a novel idea, and it'd make the fundraising easy. Coming up with said idea....that's the tough bit. :p
    DFW - DEBT FREEEEEE!

Total - 10762/10762 :)

Every silver lining has its cloud.
  • superjaggybunnet
    Options
    Buy him a reasonably priced pressure washer and then he can knock on doors around where you live offering to clean driveways, paths, patios, etc. for a fee.

My boy did this and he made loads of cash.
  • Surfbabe
    Surfbabe Posts: 2,281 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Whereabouts do you live? - Check for local charities that may help.

Stop the clock is a good one. I can PM you the details if you want. Its always hard fetting sponsors for something like a walk, silence etc, so we found at Explorers that STC was brilliant.
  • hustle90
    hustle90 Posts: 257 Forumite
    Options
    Son wants to go on an expedition next year to South Africa, which is to be be partly funded by him raising funds.

The school is arranging a ' bag pack ' at the local supermarket but does anyone have any other ideas for fund raising activities?

I just got back from World Youth Day in Sydney, Australia. 5 students and 2 teachers from my school went. It was £1850 each and we raised all of the money ourselves. We washed cars at our local churches, packed bags at Tescos, Morisons etc, wrote letters to large company's asking if they would like to sponsor us (We stuck their logo on the UK flag we took), asked for help from our local churches and also organized things in school like cake sales, raffle tickets, a talent show (Charged £1 to get in) and we also bribed the head teacher to allow an own clothes day for years 7-11 and we charged them (£1).

We made our goal in the end. We're going to World Youth Day in Madrid, Spain in 2011, so we're doing all the fund raising again. Good luck for your son.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure