We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Study abroad insurance (personal possessions only)?

Options
My girlfriend is going to study in Canada for a year in a month. The University she's going to insist she takes medical insurance out through them, so that's been sorted out. Thus, she only really wants to take out personal possessions insurance to cover things like her laptop, mp3 player, etc.

The only quotes we've been able to find cover everything and come to hundreds of pounds. Thus, I was wondering if anyone can suggest places to look that can give relevant cover. Incidentally, my home insurance expires in September, so I was also wondering whether maybe some company might give me a decent deal on insuring my girlfriend if I take my home insurance with them. Any ideas gratefully received!

Comments

• Oscar_The_Grouch
    Options
    Hi there

I think you need to look at these as 2 separate risks; your home and the contents your girlfriend is taking with her.

Follow the advice in the "Best Buy Article" at the top of the page for your home insurance. This should give you a place to start for that.

For your girlfriend, I suggest she arranges cover in Canada rather than here. If she speaks to the university, they probably have a tie in with an insurer based on the medical cover. Otherwise, they should be able to give her advice and as they are over there, they are better placed to help than anyone over here!!
    In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move.
    The late, great, Douglas Adams.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family