We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

McAfee Internet Security 2006

Options
2»

Comments

• Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Rob_B wrote:
    norton firewall is better though, cant get it to install on my machine at the moment though :( just do a port probe on grc.com & you'll see what i mean, norton stealths all ports but mcafee only closes them...
    I use McAfee firewall and checks on grc.com (Shields Up) show all ports stealthed:
    Your system has achieved a perfect "TruStealth" rating. Not a single packet — solicited or otherwise — was received from your system as a result of our security probing tests. Your system ignored and refused to reply to repeated Pings (ICMP Echo Requests). From the standpoint of the passing probes of any hacker, this machine does not exist on the Internet. Some questionable personal security systems expose their users by attempting to "counter-probe the prober", thus revealing themselves. But your system wisely remained silent in every way. Very nice.
    GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2005-10-24 at 22:15:08

Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

0 Ports Open
    0 Ports Closed
    1056 Ports Stealth
    1056 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

TruStealth: PASSED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
    - NO unsolicited packets were received,
    - NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.
    ..and no, I don't have a hardware firewall.
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • Dingdangdoforme
    Options
    Could be worth checking the company you work for to see if they have a home use policy with McAfee as the company I work for uses McAfee software and as a result can offer McAfee for free, either downloaded from there website or via CD.
    I have it up and running on my PC at home (after one or two issues with Norton) and more then happy with it.
  • dc
    dc Posts: 2,547 Forumite
    Options
    Rob_B wrote:
    norton firewall is better though, cant get it to install on my machine at the moment though :( just do a port probe on grc.com & you'll see what i mean, norton stealths all ports but mcafee only closes them...

Shouldn't bother, Trying here to get rid of NIS as it has slowed a resonably fast PC to stop. Constantly interupts typing by scans in middle of work, causing typos and long waits for it to get off the pot. Also no discounts on renewal!
    ac's lovechild
  • BritBrat
    BritBrat Posts: 3,764 Forumite
    Options
    Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

There are more than 1055 ports and even my Hardware firewall (Netgear DG834G) is by default open to some of them.

For anyone else with the same Router here are the ports that are open by default:

40000 - 40099

Make new rules to block them if you want to.
  • figgy1978
    Options
    I have just installed Mcafee and seems to be running a lot faster than NIS. One question about Privacy security. How do you get it to accept English addresses?

Thanks
  • Premier_2
    Premier_2 Posts: 15,141 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BritBrat wrote:
    There are more than 1055 ports and even my Hardware firewall (Netgear DG834G) is by default open to some of them.

For anyone else with the same Router here are the ports that are open by default:

40000 - 40099

Make new rules to block them if you want to.
    Yes I am aware there are many more ports.

However these are the 'Service Ports' that Shields Up searches.

You can also specify 'Common Ports' which also includes ports 1720 & 5000
    This all gives the following results:
    STEALTH There is NO EVIDENCE WHATSOEVER that a port (or even any computer) exists at this IP address!

You can also check individual ports (upto 64 at a time)
    I have checked all the ports that your router leaves open (2 scans)
    All those are also Stealthed by McAfee.

Which ports are are not stealthed by McAfee?
    "Now to trolling as a concept. .... Personally, I've always found it a little sad that people choose to spend such a large proportion of their lives in this way but they do, and we have to deal with it." - MSE Forum Manager 6th July 2010
  • wolfman
    wolfman Posts: 3,225 Forumite
    Options
    someguy wrote:
    PC World are selling McAfee Internet Security Suite 2006 + McAfee Quickclean for £24.99. Saw it in the paper this morning but the offer's online too (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/808205) including free delivery.

Edit: According to the newspaper, the offer ends 25/10/05 - I guess that applies online too...

Not bad for a whole suite. Nice and easy to use for the average user.

For anyone a little more advanced a better solution though, in my opinion, would be NOD32 (£25), Kerio Personal Firewall (Free) and either a free Anti-Spyware app (like Adaware/Spybot) or preferably CounterSpy (£10).
    "Boonowa tweepi, ha, ha."
  • mikewebs
    mikewebs Posts: 538 Forumite
    Options
    PC World are selling this Internet Security Suite for £24.99 with free delivery at the moment. I've just ordered it and saved £25.00 as its half the normal price - don't know how much delivery is - i just snatched it.

HTH someone
    :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills