We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Bicycle Insurance

Options
I apologise if this is posted elsewhere but I can't find any info on bicycle insurance...

I have had two bikes stolen within the past year. One was not locked up and so my own fault (even though it was in my back garden with a locked gate) but the second was securely locked to a bike rack using a high rated lock. :mad:

I am now looking at buying a new bike but don't want to lose out if it gets stolen again...I've had a look at various companies offering bike insurance but they all have terms and conditions which mean that its practically impossible to claim!!

Does anybody have any suggestions as to good companies for bike insurance??? I would need the bike to be insured both on and off of my place of residence.

Help would be very much appreciated :o
Looking for ways to save :dance:
Since October 2014:
Consumer Pulse
ValuedOpinions
Crowdology

Comments

• FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you got home insurance? For cover outside the home you'd normally need personnal possessions but it would probably have far less criteria to claim than pure item policies.
  • emma_marie
    emma_marie Posts: 64 Forumite
    Options
    I have home contents insurance which is included in my rent as i'm currently living in student accommodation. This does not cover my bike being left locked up outside even though we have 24/7 CCTV and security gates with fobbed access.
    Looking for ways to save :dance:
    Since October 2014:
    Consumer Pulse
    ValuedOpinions
    Crowdology
  • Oscar_The_Grouch
    Options
    Hi Emma_marie

I would suggest speaking to your parents. I keep using this old saw, but most home insurances will cover students whilst they are in full time education and many of these will extend to cover bikes too.

Speak to your parents before spending your own money on insurance; if they can cover it for you, they may even pay for the cover. Also, the cover their policy will provide is probably better than the one you are getting included in your rent.

All the best.
    In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move.
    The late, great, Douglas Adams.
  • geri1965_2
    geri1965_2 Posts: 8,736 Forumite
    Options
    emma_marie wrote: »
    I have home contents insurance which is included in my rent as i'm currently living in student accommodation. This does not cover my bike being left locked up outside even though we have 24/7 CCTV and security gates with fobbed access.

Usually it's a specific add on to the policy, so you can get it covered but you will have to pay an additioanl premium.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport