🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Am i better off or should i switch??

Options
hello,

i have only my electricity supplied by Southern Electric (there is no gas to the village). I am on a social tarrif and pay by DD so i believe that my bill should be 26% cheaper than their normal tarrif. However, as the cost of electric rises then obviously my costs like everyone else increase. My question is would i be better off switching to a capped tarrif rather than sticking to my social tarrif which is reviewed every 2 years anyway?

thx moneysavers

Comments

• bixieupnorth
    Options
    same boat for me

i'm currently with sainsburys energy, monthly direct debit, dual fuel.

every time i do a search the prices seem to be hugely bigger than what we currently pay
    ie elec nsc option secondary 8.252p per kWh
    primary 13.662p

gas domestic standard 2.746p
    primary 3.751p

everything i can find is nowhere near this, or am i missing something?? we seem to be fairly low users as our combined monthly dd is only £53 and we're £118 in credit too

any advice about whether to twist or stick??

cheers
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Options
    Stick with the social tariff.
    The lower user you are, Ebico prices become more attractive.
    Do a manual check. No tier pricing and Anglia area is 10.80p kwh and 2.86p for gas, both inc. VAT and less any social tariff discounts.
  • Dumpy_2
    Dumpy_2 Posts: 29 Forumite
    Options
    I'm with Ebico (Southern Electric) (hubby insists on paying via prepayment as we have a low income)) and am very happy with this company but should I look around for a capped gas/electric price??????????? I have done a comparison and Ebico is still the cheapest for me but now only by £24 per year but I don't want to move to a company that has ***** customer service. Ebico so far have been fine with me. Decisions, decisions.........
  • webwahm
    webwahm Posts: 18 Forumite
    Options
    I'm wondering if I should switch TO Ebico ... I'm with nPower and should save about £190... am on prepayment meter and have used the comparison sites but none of them give me any capped tarrifs - can you even get capped with prepayment????
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,678 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have heard Martin on radio and by special email telling us to cap. The comparison websites tell me that I would not save on present outlay. Presumably this does not take into account anticipated rises? HELP!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 1 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport