We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Comet extended warranty on mp3 player

Options
Hi,

I was just wondering whether anyone had any experience with the comet's 'equivalent replacement' part of their exteneded cover.

I have recently purchased the cover and they offer unlimited repairs and if it isn't repairable, an equivalent product will be given and the cover ends.

I want to know 'how equivalent' it can be basicly?

i.e. do they just have to give you a 32gb mp3 player that plays videos or...

... 32gb mp3 player that plays divX videos has a same size or bigger LCD screen etc, etc

It does say if I don't accept the advised replacement at their sole discretion they can give me vouchers up to the orignal purchase price.

I am asking because I am within the period I could cancel it and would just like some experiences/opinions on comet's extended cover for mp3 players.

Comments

• Oscar_The_Grouch
    Options
    Hi there

The cover they are offering you is an insurance policy and, therefore, subject to FSA regulation. This means that if their policy states they will provide you with an equivalent product, it must have the same features and benefits as the MP3 player you currently have. If your current one has the ability to play DivX video, then whatever they offer you will have to have it too.

One thing I would say is that having checked up on their website, I assume you purchased the Creative 32GB Zen at £179.99. On the basis that this is the MSE website, I logged in to my Quidco account, earned 2p doing a search on the Creative 32GB Zen and discovered that you could have saved yourself £20 by purchasing the same item from Amazon. Adding in the price of the warranty that you are not sure about and you could have saved a bundle.

Are you within the period when you can also return the product? If so, that may be worth considering.
    In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move.
    The late, great, Douglas Adams.
  • andrew_scfc
    Options
    Hi there

The cover they are offering you is an insurance policy and, therefore, subject to FSA regulation. This means that if their policy states they will provide you with an equivalent product, it must have the same features and benefits as the MP3 player you currently have. If your current one has the ability to play DivX video, then whatever they offer you will have to have it too.

One thing I would say is that having checked up on their website, I assume you purchased the Creative 32GB Zen at £179.99. On the basis that this is the MSE website, I logged in to my Quidco account, earned 2p doing a search on the Creative 32GB Zen and discovered that you could have saved yourself £20 by purchasing the same item from Amazon. Adding in the price of the warranty that you are not sure about and you could have saved a bundle.

Are you within the period when you can also return the product? If so, that may be worth considering.

Thanks for taking the time mate.

I looked at Amazon but due to the fact they didn't offer an extended warranty, I decided to purchase from Comet.

I purchased the warranty because I am pretty much guaranteed to use it. This is because the unit has a rechargeable battery in it and this has a fixed life span. The extended warranty covers wear and tear and I imagine this would be wear and tear. With my frequent usage, the battery will reach the end of it's life within the three year period I would think.

With your assurance that FSA regulation gurantees the equivalent part of it, I am a lot more confident about keeping the warranty. Cheers mate for some excellent information :grin:
  • Oscar_The_Grouch
    Options
    Fantastic. Hope you are happy with the MP3 player. I must admit that Comet were £10 cheaper than anywhere other than Amazon!!

All the best
    In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move.
    The late, great, Douglas Adams.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family