When do CSA payments stop

Options
12346»

Comments

• galangm8
    galangm8 Posts: 149 Forumite
    Options
    When I informed them my child was 16 out of full time education, child benefit ended and to close her case, they refused even when she was 16, 17, 18 and even 19 saying it closes automatically!

Luckily her 'dropout' of a father never paid one single penny in 12 years...(it didn't matter to him whether he was being charged a £1 or £500 pw), even though I received letter after letter advising they were making deductions!!!

This resulting in me receiving a lot less maintenance per month from my little ones' NRP.

She's now a grown up woman and daddy can't understand why theres no 'connection' between them!:eek:
  • GUD4306
    Options
    About csa payments
    My ex is earning more than me and has moved in with her partner.
    Where do i stand with the payments im making to her now,this is an arrangement outside the csa but they told me how much i had to pay??
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    GUD4306 wrote: »
    About csa payments
    Where do i stand with the payments im making to her now,this is an arrangement outside the csa but they told me how much i had to pay??

You'll get a better response if you start your own thread.

But in a nutshell, how much she and/or her partner earns has no relevance at all to the contribution you are expected to make towards your child's upkeep. That is calculated on YOUR income not theirs.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • Hi, I have just found this site. Just want to get something out there. I am the mother and my children stay with their dad . They stay there as my son is working full time and my daughter is doing exams and I did not want to split them up so I made the hard move to let her stay( it would have been too difficult for her to move especially with exams). I pay every month for my daughter even though I earn pittance ( I earn just over 10K a year and pay £140 per month and her dad earns over 80k per year) I pay this through the CSA as he was not happy with the £100 per month I was giving him. To give you a bit of background here my ex husband left me when my children were very young and I brought them up on my own for 5 years and never once did I take a penny off him. I had to go back to work full time to afford the bills and he had a freak out when I said I needed help with money saying he could not afford it. So I struggled on. Foolish me !!!!!!!!!!. I took him back and for 5 year after I was miserable with him. I eventually plucked up the courage to tell him I did not love him and wanted a divorce. I took half the value of the house I never touched his pension as he had the kids so I did not want them to have to suffer or do with out. My daughter was coming to stay with me when I first moved but my son never has as he hates me for leaving his dad. Now my daughter does not come they dont answer my calls so I am left sending texts to them which they never reply too or if they do just send me abuse. In hindsight I would have definitely have done things differently . I would never stop paying for my children but a lot of people go on about how bad the mother is trying to get this that and the other out of the NRP. I am the NRP and my ex husband is trying his best to destroy me in other ways, financially and everything else, but even though I have nothing, my life is richer without him in it. I miss my kids like mad and hope and pray when they are older they will contact me as my door is always open for them,
  • wayne0
    wayne0 Posts: 444 Forumite
    Options
    GUD4306 wrote: »
    About csa payments

if the csa made the calculation, then this is via the csa, unless you recieve a letter saying the case is closed.

ALWAYS write via the CSA for changes...

you may find you are on "Maintenance Direct" which is where you arrange payments between yourself using the figure they supply (you pay what they say, directly to PWC)

when was your case first opened, this would tell you if its CS1 or CS2... CS1 payments may be effected by moving in / her wage

CS2 payments are not impacted by PWC income. its NRP income (only, not outgoings)

your on cs2 if you case was opened in 2003 onwards...
  • Focus12345
    Options
    Hi Is anyone aware of a new law that was passed last Dec, meaning that if your child is in further education or as in my case is due to finish when they are 18 but decide to carry on until they are 20 we must continue paying until they are 20.
    It feels unfair that if they finish their course when they are 18 it should stop there. If they decide at this point to carry on that should be up to them. I have always paid for my kids after breaking up many years ago and have never had a problem doing so, but this seems very unfair to have up to an extra 2 years added on just like that. I have read nothing about this law and have had no official communication from the csa regarding this, but it was someone at the csa that told me about this law coming in. Where do i stand?
  • zzzLazyDaisy
    zzzLazyDaisy Posts: 12,497 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    CSA continues to be payable as long as the PWC is in receipt of child benefit.

Child benefit is paid as long as the child is in full-time non advanced education (although for these purposes f/t is not many hours). Child benefit can continue until the child's 20th birthday provided they started the course when they were still 19. They can work while on education but not for more than 24 hours a week.

some info here

https://www.gov.uk/child-benefit-16-19/education

EDIT - it isn't adding an extra 2 years on as the final age has been 19yrs for a long time.
    I'm a retired employment solicitor. Hopefully some of my comments might be useful, but they are only my opinion and not intended as legal advice.
  • his_wife
    his_wife Posts: 350 Forumite
    Options
    They have to of applied for the course before their 19th birthday though, so if they apply for course after their 19th birthday, csa and cb would not be payable.

Full time college course is anything over 12 hours a week
  • sammcg
    sammcg Posts: 261 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    do you still pay child maintence if your child stays on at school but works?
  • Darna
    Darna Posts: 58 Forumite
    Options
    Yes Sammcg
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business