When do CSA payments stop

Options

Comments

• tombhoy
    Options
    My son is 16 1/2 ands left school for an apprenticeship with Carillion Construction. He has passed his level 1 and is on placement of which he attends 4 days on site and 1 day a week back at Carillion.

He receives £96.20 per week but Carillion and CSA are telling me this is still classed as further education and I must continue paying for him until he completes his apprenticeship or leaves (also the ex receives Child tax credits as well).

My head is battered as I don't know what the Ex is telling the CSA and I'm hitting a brick wall with any help from them.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Hi mate I am no expert but see if this helps. The CSA have decided that if child benefit is being paid then you should continue paying maintenance as this cuts back on the investigation of claims. So first of all you have to tackle HMRC. Have a read of this, as far as I can see if the training is part of a job contract and/or the education is being provided by an employer the child benefit should cease and therefore your maintenance.

Child stays in education or training
    You can carry on getting Child Benefit for your child up until their 20th birthday, if they're in education or training that counts for Child Benefit. Education or training counts for Child Benefit as long as it's either of the following:
    full-time, 'non-advanced' education (for example 'A' levels)
    'approved' training
    Your child needs to have started, enrolled or been accepted for one of these types of courses before the age of 19.
    You can't get Child Benefit if your child is doing:
    higher education, such as a course at university level
    education provided by an employer
    education provided through any office they hold - for example if your child has an official role such as scout leader or councillor, and the education is provided as part of that role
    training that is part of a job contract

I hope this helps.
  • clairzey
    Options
    Hi,
    Sorry if this has already been answered, but can anybody please clarify.......
    My husbands eldest turns 18 this month. He is currently at college either two or three days a week (I understand that this is still classed as full time education!). As I understand it, this course finishes this year, so probably around July before the summer holidays. My question is whether his CSA payment will stop when the course is completed in July or will my husband still be expected to pay until his son's 19th birthday?
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks
  • PreludeForTimeFeelers
    Options
    clairzey wrote: »
    Hi,
    Sorry if this has already been answered, but can anybody please clarify.......
    My husbands eldest turns 18 this month. He is currently at college either two or three days a week (I understand that this is still classed as full time education!). As I understand it, this course finishes this year, so probably around July before the summer holidays. My question is whether his CSA payment will stop when the course is completed in July or will my husband still be expected to pay until his son's 19th birthday?
    Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    Many thanks

What is he intending to do once the course ends?
    Child Benefit will probably end in the first week of September, so I would expect that to be your end date.
  • 13Kent
    13Kent Posts: 1,177 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    We are in the same position, child has not been in college since Dec, but because child has signed on with connexions PWC still gets CB - even though the child is not working or has not been in college for the last 4 months. The child is supposedly waiting to start a job that was offered in Dec (I find that hard to believe) but as the PWC is still claiming CB for that child then CSA is still payable. - So we are paying the mother to encourage the child to sit around doing nothing rather than encouraging the child to go and get a job because if the child sits about the PWC can still clam CB and the CSA payments (which are high as we are on CSA 1 - payments are double what they would be on CSA 2) - What a great start to that child's life - so much for putting your children first!
  • Marisco
    Marisco Posts: 42,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    If all the criteria is fulfilled i.e child 19, not in education etc, what would actually happen if you (general you) just stopped paying CSA? Which TBH is what I would do!!! Why should an NRP be penalised just because the different departments cannot get their act together and get it sorted!!
  • 13Kent
    Options
    They consider connexions (the apprenticeship system) to still be education so as long as the child is registered with them as far as the CB and CSA are concerned the child is still in education - even though in reality that child is actually doing nothing. - It's all about reducing the unemployment figures I imagine, paying CB is probably cheaper than paying benefits to an unemployed person.
  • clairzey
    Options
    13Kent wrote: »
    We are in the same position, child has not been in college since Dec, but because child has signed on with connexions PWC still gets CB - even though the child is not working or has not been in college for the last 4 months. The child is supposedly waiting to start a job that was offered in Dec (I find that hard to believe) but as the PWC is still claiming CB for that child then CSA is still payable. - So we are paying the mother to encourage the child to sit around doing nothing rather than encouraging the child to go and get a job because if the child sits about the PWC can still clam CB and the CSA payments (which are high as we are on CSA 1 - payments are double what they would be on CSA 2) - What a great start to that child's life - so much for putting your children first!

This is almost exactly the same as our situation - PWC encouraging him to do nothing but play on the Xbox all day to the point where he has just turned down a once in a lifetime opportunity apprentiship in the field that he has been studying at college for! This field is incredably hard to get into and apprectiships just dont come up, especially with a guaranteed job at the end like this one. I just cant understand it - why would you hinder your child like this?? All started to become clear when I read about the CB system. Crazy. As far as I am aware, he's not signed to connexions and doesn't have any plans for when he finishes this course this year (certainly anything job related). There is no 'next' course in this field and he cannot do the next phase until he reaches 21.
  • his_wife
    his_wife Posts: 350 Forumite
    Options
    13kent, not certain on this, but as you know i was in a similar situation,,,i am sure connexions are supposed to get them employment with in 6 weeks in which time, they can then be removed of course if child refuses course . they also have to attend connexions so many times etc, so that may also be worth looking into
  • marciekandthefunkybunch
    Options
    Query....Our case with the CSA has now closed on 16.3.2012 as the child has moved out his mums as he is 18 and gone to live with girlfriend.....we have now received a letter dated 18.5.2012 stating they will now review the case to make sure we were asked to pay the correct amount of child maintenance.....

are they allowed to do this ???? surely they should just do the assessments correctly...and how long back do they check 18 years???....they have given no timescale of how long this will take either.....they only re-assessed us 18 months ago due to having a new job....it just feels like they never leave you alone....grrrr
  • 13Kent
    Options
    :rotfl::rotfl:Maybe the girlfriend has applied for maintenance in loco parentis:rotfl::rotfl:

Apparently if a child moves out of the pwc's home it's difficult to prove they have moved out, so the CSA's way of checking this is to ring the pwc to confirm if the child has moved out - if they have the pwc loses the csa payments - I'm not expecting our pwc to be honest about this, and wouldn't be surprised if the above happened in our case!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure