We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

So annoyed - Direct Line cop out

Options
Evening
Looking for some advice please... my 2 yr old son has lifted my eternity ring from above the kitchen sink and lost it. We searched for it for days (it could be anywhere) and finally gave up today and called Direct Line to claim for it as being lost. Absolutely gobsmacked to be told that it's not covered as it can't be lost in the house and we didn't take out personal possession cover. My husband called Direct Line when we took out the house insurance (inc accidental damage) to ask if jewellery had to be specified and was told only if it was over £1500. The house insurance clearly states personal belongings in the home (my ring was at home) are covered. They have said only things such as storm damage, flood and fire are covered in the home - not loss.

Any ideas anyone - the first time in my life I need to claim and they're not playing ball?
NF :mad:

Comments

• MarkyMarkD
    MarkyMarkD Posts: 9,912 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Travel insurance, and personal possessions cover, cover you for losing items.

Normal household insurance doesn't, because its purpose is to cover the type of key risks that you refer to - storm, flood, fire, theft, accidental damage.

In any case, it's almost definitely going to turn up sometime - your 2 year old has not taken it outside, I presume - so if you did successfully claim you'd end up refunding them when you eventually found it.
  • FlameCloud
    FlameCloud Posts: 1,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Any ideas anyone - the first time in my life I need to claim and they're not playing ball?
    NF :mad:

Read your policy booklet? Looking at the docs online -

http://www.directline.com/home/HomePolicy.pdf

Contents covers you against the following perils-

Fire, Smoke, Riot, Collision, Storm/Flood, Theft, Vandalism, EOW, Subs.

Note, none of them are Accidental loss.

Going to section three, Personnal possessions. It says you are covered for Accidental loss.

As you havent got PP it is your own fault.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm sorry but Direct Line are totally correct. Jewellery has always been classed as personal possessions. They are not trying to get out of a claim unfairly. There is no "cop out".

Going back 5-10 years, you used to use lenders or brokers for home insurance and taking out a policy with personal possessions (and accidental cover) was very common. Since home insurance went more direct/online and people started arranging it DIY the number of people leaving off things like accidental damage and personal possessions has increased. This may keep the monthly cost down but it reduces the things you are covered for.

Direct Line is a DIY provider so you made the choice not to cover it.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Steve1981
    Steve1981 Posts: 565 Forumite
    Options
    its a terrible situation but without the personal possessions cover there is no cover for this, i really feel for you, but Im afraid they are correct
  • mattymoo
    mattymoo Posts: 2,417 Forumite
    Options
    Have you checked to see if it fell down the plug hole / waste disposal chute? Might be worth taking the U bend or bottle traps out underneath to see if it has come to rest in those.
  • missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think this is a wind up?
    my 2 yr old son has lifted my eternity ring from above the kitchen sink
    Must be one tall 2 yr old?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think this is a wind up?

Dont know. However, it doesnt look like we are doing to hear from the OP again now she realises its her fault and not Direct Line.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • eldowardo
    eldowardo Posts: 71 Forumite
    Options
    how awful, what a shame but seriously....have you tried the bins? ull b amazed - we once found mums ring in the bin years ago... dont ask how it got there like!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport